Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Questions for "Penny" about Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/questions-for-penny-about-bermuda-403866/)

bosco Feb 26th, 2004 08:37 AM

Questions for "Penny" about Bermuda

Penny:
Thanks for you advice regarding choosing between Bermuda, Nevis and St. John for a family vacation. We've actually been to Bermuda twice and it's our favorite island (although I don't have much to compare it to). This May, my husband and I are going to Curtain Bluff in Antigua, but we've decided to go back to Bermuda for a family vacation in 2005 (my folks have never been). As you've mentioned that Bermuda is one of your favorites, I have a couple of questions for you. Are there things to do and great experiences that we shouldn't miss on our third trip? We've been to Hamilton, St,. George, the Royal Naval Dockyard and Gibbs lighthouse. Would like to do a couple of new tihngs on our next trip. Any favorites?

ParrotMom Feb 26th, 2004 10:00 AM

We are going back for the 10th time in June...askhttp://server2.ezboard.com/bbermudashortsforum These are the BOP's.. Bermuda Ob sessed People..lol--besides you may find Penny hanging out there.

bosco Feb 26th, 2004 10:25 AM

Thanks, ParrotMom. I'd love to hear from anyone who's been to Bermuda. All ideas, thoughts, comments would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll check out the Bermuda shorts forum. Thanks!

penny Feb 26th, 2004 11:04 AM

Its nice to know you enjoy Bermuda. I have been there so many times, we do less touring than the past. We do hop on our mopeds to explore. Have you done the botanical gardens, the aguarium, the shell museum etc. at the
Exploratory, National Gallery-some of these I have done on a rainy day. My favorite is just to sip a rum and coke, on our patio, watch the water, listen to the tree frogs. I am sure there are lots of ideas at the above mentioned forum. Our favorite restaurants-Bar tables at the Lobster Pot, Frescos outdoor terrace, Aqua at Ariel Sands,
sometimes The Waterloo House. We enjoy dining outside, one spot I want to try is Cocconuts at The Reef.
We just got back from Antigua, we were
a few days over by Curtain Bluff at the new Carlisle Bay. We wanted to check out Curtain, but we just did not want to get off the beach. We then went over to our favorite spot-Jumby Bay. So when you get back, please post about
Curtain Bluff. I know that resort has set the bar high for other caribbean resorts!

bosco Feb 26th, 2004 12:47 PM

Thanks, Penny! A lot of great ideas. We've never been to the botanical gardens which I really want to see. Hopingf there hasn't been a lot of damage from the hurricane. Where is the Shell museum? That sounds interesting. Overall, we're just looking for a couple of new experiences to make the trip different - preferably things that would give us a sense of the real Bermuda and the ones that tourist don't usually frequent. On your next trip to Bermuda, definitely check out Coconuts at The Reefs. We've stayed at the Reefs on our only two visits and would never stay anywhere else. Coconuts also has the option to dine on the beach during sunset - an amazing experience! My favorite experience to date is lounging in the jacuzzi at The Reefs and listening to the sound of the waves. Thanks again!

cmcfong Feb 26th, 2004 12:58 PM

Bosco, I am one of the Bermuda obsessed. Let me add the Underwater Exploration Museum of the list of to dos. It is excellent...plus there is a marvelous restaurant there with great harbor views. The restaurant, La Coquille, is affordable at lunch...very pricey for dinner. A restaurant I love is Ascots at the Royal Palms. No view, but great food.
One of my favorite things to do in Bermuda is the Christmas Boat parade. They do a super job and it is the cheap season. Never been a problem for me as the weather is still warm and pleasant enough to ride my moped all day, and the shops are open in the evening.

penny Feb 26th, 2004 02:02 PM

The shell museum, also interesting exhibits, etc. is in the Underwater Exploratory Museum, right on the bend into Hamilton, pass the lovely bronze staute of the waving Johnny Barnes. the restaurant is wonderful. Yes, I too like Ascots on the porch!

Also an interesting tour the old Bermuda house-Verdmont ( not sure of the name)outside Hamilton And for all Bermudaphiles-have you seen The New This Old House, the renovation in St.George. One of these days I would love to spend Christmas on the island!

cmcfong Feb 26th, 2004 02:13 PM

I go every year the week before Christmas. It is great. Bermudians love the holiday and their wonderful, generous nature is the perfect way to put you in the holiday spirit.

sp Feb 26th, 2004 04:33 PM

I've been to Bermuda quite a few times. It's my favourite island - I just don't go anywhere else anymore after the first time there. You haven't mentioned the crystal caves - I think that is something to see. I would also see the caves at Grotto Beach Resort. You could go to the Swizzle Inn (which is just up the hill from Grotto) for lunch & then walk down to Grotto and have a look. We really like the mini-cruises to Hawkins Island. You can go day or night, there's different party themes (we loved the pirate party) and there's dinner & music as well. Go to bermuda.com and go into sightseeing - it's all there and more. I know you said you would only go to the Reefs, but have you looked into Pompano? I am so exicted, we are going there in June. The staff are the friendliest, the food is incredible, view is amazing and the water has a huge expanse of shallow, calm water - great for kayaking or just floating around. I know everybody raves about the Reefs, but you are sooooo close to the road - so you have all the road noise. You don't have the tranquility of Pompano.

bosco Feb 27th, 2004 04:48 AM

Pompano is also a great place and would be my second choice. We had dinner at the Pompano during our honeymoon in 2000. We had dinner out on the terrace overlooking the ocean and the view was spectacular! I would love to go back for lunch sometime, but my heart still lies with The Reefs. We love the amazing views, the food (choice of 3 restaurants), excellent service, the small, private beach, the infinity pool, but mostly the overall atmosphere. Frankly, you can't go wrong with either. Both are unique in theor own way. I hope you enjoy your trip!