Questions About The Jalousie Hilton in St. Lucia

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:52 AM
cherie

Questions About The Jalousie Hilton in St. Lucia

We are planning a first-time trip to St. Lucia and we are considering staying at the Jalousie Hilton without the all-inclusive plan. Can anyone tell us how expensive the food and drinks are? How much does the average dinner & breakfast cost? How much for soda & drinks? We might choose to stay at the Rendezvous resort (all-inclusive)for some (or all) of the time. Any thoughts on this? ANY information & tips on St. Lucia would be appreciated!

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:40 AM
kay

WE di dnot stay at the Hilton but did have lunch and dinner there. I think the dinner buffet was #30 per person and lunch at the beach side restaurant was around $10 for hanburger and fries. All meals will be expensive at nice restauratns as they ahve to bring the food onto the island. Rendevous does not compare with the Hilton when it comes to beauty adn quietness. REndezvous is right at the end of the airport runway in Casteries. The HIlton does have a meal plan.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Addie

Just got back from 6 days at Jalousie. Loved it. But very expensive.

We didn't do all-inclusive, but full breakfasts were included in the room rate - I think it was called their "bounceback" package. Even though we did eat all but one meal at the Jalousie, we looked at the all-inclusive and I still don't think it was worth it. And if you go, dinner at Ladera's Dasheen is a must AT LEAST once, and then you're paying for double meals.

SO I suggest going w/o all-inclusive. The full breakfast (regular buffet w/omelets, pancakes etc.) was about $36 for 2 people each morning.

If you eat 3 big meals day usually, thn lunch could easily be another $40-50, although we found ourselves getting a lighter meal or just ice cream by the pool for lunch. Dinners will easily be at least $125, more with wine.

A large bottle of water is $4.50. Mini snack bags of chips are $2.00 - remember everything has to be shipped ino this very remote place. And alcohol import taxes make wine very expensive - the least expensive bottle of merlot was $32.

On the plus side, you can pick mangos right off the tree and keep them in your mini-frig for a tasty treat.

Plan about $200-250 per day for food and you'll be fine.

The cab between airport and hotel is $80-90 each way.

Gratuities are already added to your meal bills, so you don't really have to tip. You don't have to tip the hotel shuttle drivers - you use them SO often, you'd easily rack up a hefty sum if you did.

We took a cab to Ladera for dinner, and the driver waited there for us for 4 hours. That was $40 but we gave him $50.

We took the half-day "Soufriere experience" trip which was very nice, and we thought worth the $40 pp, plus $20 each for the driver and the 2 other guides we had through the various attractions.

We took a water taxi to Anse CHastanet for snorkeling, and that was $40 round trip for the 2 of us.

I recommend bringing candy and snacks with you to save on that expense.

There's no nightlife, but you can rent movies in the evening ($5). The satellite transmission isn't very good so you only get about 10 TV channels.

But despite the expense, the overall experience was wonderful. It's the most private and romantic place ever. SPectacular views!

I think it's nice to allow yourself some time to GET bored. No pressure to feel like you have to be out doing something the whole time. St. Lucia is all about relaxation.

Oh - 55 min. massage at the spa was $75.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 11:38 AM
pj

Any vacation to any caribbean island should be all inclusive, gourmet meals, more than one restaurant,even if your not hungry one day there is something you decide to eat or drink!All your waterports,& other activites are included, you can't beat it!Stayed at Wyndam Morgan Bay, wonderful all incl.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Kim

Well we had lunch there one day and it cost $180.00 without tip for 6 of us, And we did not drink liquor! Ill stay at Sandals for that kind of $.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Ashley

Get real Kim-- Break it down, $30 per person is not that much.