Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Questions about Grenada (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/questions-about-grenada-339452/)

Becca Jul 21st, 2003 02:14 PM

Questions about Grenada

My husband and I just returned from a vacation to Aruba, but I'm already beginning to think about where to vacation next year. I wanted to get everyone's opinions on Grenada. To give you an idea what we are looking for, we love St. John, USVI but weren't so crazy about Aruba. Before we left for Aruba, I read how beautiful its beaches were, but I was sorely disappointed after having seen St. John's beaches. Also, the water in Aruba was not all that clear and had a lot of seaweed. We are looking for a relatively quiet island with nice accomodations and restaurants. We want lush scenery and beautiful, non-rocky beaches with extremely clear water (no seaweed). We also want to feel safe leaving our resort area. Does Grenada fit the bill? Is Grenada considered to be outside the hurricane belt? Are any months more rainy than others? Thanks!

pegelicious Jul 21st, 2003 05:08 PM

Hi Becca,

We've been to a few islands, including Aruba and Grenada. Grenada, IMHO, probably the best yet. A full range of accomodations; a few outstanding restaurants and any very good (reasonably priced)ones. I quite enjoyed the beaches there, but by other standards in the Caribbean, not tops. There are not many resorts; it's less touristed than others islands and making the most of your trip means spending time in town and in the interior (rain forest, etc). I never felt less than safe and Grenadians are wonderful. It is a beautiful, lush place. I have not been to St John so can't offer a comparison; but I think you may be disappointed in the beaches if that's you're prime conisderation. No comparison at all between Aruba and Grenada--none. One's arid and one volcanic. Grenada is considered basically safe in hurricane season. It don't know if it's **technically** out of the hurricane belt, but I believe it is the largest safe harbor in the southern caribbean. If you are looking to branch out in the caribbean and enjoy west indian culture and lush scenery, defintlety try Grenada. If you Google it you'll find a good website-- sorry I've forgotten the name- it's also here in one of the Grenada threads. Main hotel areas are Grand Anse and Mourne Rouge. If water clarity and no seaweed is really important, maybe a beeter choice would be the Caymans, T&C, the out islands of Bahamas--lots of folks here to help on those. You may end up having to choose between lush and great water. The only place I've been that comes closest to having both fab beach and lush is Jamaica, but of course Jamiaica is not everyone's cup of tea..... Have fun planning!

pegoode Jul 22nd, 2003 02:47 AM

My experience with Grand Anse has been seaweed free. Plus, it is a beautiful stretch of beach. Our favorite beach in Grenada, Morne Rouge, does have some spots of seaweed but we love it for the quietness and the great roti at the beach bar there. You can find tons of info at www.grenadaexplorer.com

JJDave Jul 22nd, 2003 03:10 AM

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Grenada in Feb/March 2003. We absolutely loved it. While I also liked Aruba for the diversity of topography, I would rate Grenada higher. Grande Anse beach is wonderful. I posted a trip report on March 14th entitled Blue Horizon (the hotle we stayed at. To get some really good help in planning a trip to Grenada go to grenadaexplore.com. Posters are very knowledgeable and helpful. Don't hesitate to go to Grenada, book now. Very safe, wonderful island scenery and clear, clear water.

Callaloo Jul 22nd, 2003 05:57 AM

I, too, am a lover of beaches, and have been pleased with Grenada. While not on par with the white sand/crystal clarity of the Bahamas Out Islands or Turks and Caicos (few places on the planet are!), Grenada's beaches offer an unparalleled variety.

You have the classic white sand/turquoise water/long stretch at Grand Anse (a little busier than I would like). Then the palm shaded cove at Morne Rouge. The South Pacific splendor (green water, occasionally body-surfable waves) at palm-lined La Sagesse. Black sand at Pearl's. And this is just scratching the surface.

And Grenada's other riches match or exceed most other islands in the region. You have geological diversity (crater lakes, rain forests, mountains, beaches, sulphur springs, waterfalls). Lots of agricultural products likes spices, fruit, sugar cane. And above all, a local population that actually WANTS you there.