Question: Reefs around Lubber's Qtrs. Cay off Abaco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a reef survey from Lubber's Qtrs. Cay off Abaco, south to Little Harbor, home of Pete's Pub. I plan on searching for patch reefs, using GPS to isolate each one, and tallying up reef fish and coral abundance. So, I'll end up with great snorkeling spots and reef fish populations and diversity of species. Can any one tell me their experiences in this area. I'll be staying on Lubber's Qtr. Cay and renting a Boston Whaler. I know it's very isolated, but that's what I like. Any input on reefs in the area, isolated cays to explore,and other things to do above ground would be appreciated. I'm familiar with the Sea of Abaco north of Lubber's, but would appreciate any experiences you've had "cay-exploring" south of Lubbers. Thanks in advance. Robert
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 03:46 AM

Robert, as I recall, there is a land-and-sea park at Sandy Cay (I hope I'm remembering the name correctly) south of Tilloo Cay on the way to Little Harbor. There were (in 2000) a handful of moorings near the reefs, and the snorkelers in my crew (we did a bareboat sail) reported terrific snorkeling. I would suggest checking out the Dodge cruising guide, as the major reef areas are identified in there.

Also, I highly recommend a visit to Tilloo Cay, and in particular the Tilloo Bank. This is one of my favorite spots in the Abacos -- a huge sand bank off the cay with beautiful shallow waters and a bottom studded with giant starfish, sand dollars and sea biscuits. The area nearest the beach is grassy and full of sea urchins, so if you want to go ashore, be verrry careful.

Finally, Pete's Pub is an absolute favorite. The mood is pretty much catch-as-catch-can, depending on how many people show up. We had an absolute blast, having shown up in the early afternoon (with plans to anchor overnight at Lynyard Cay), and ended up staying the night -- which won't really be an option for those not arriving by cruising boat. Pete opened the gallery, and my husband commissioned a piece of jewelry for my birthday (a gold lizard resting on a silver leaf) from Pete. Very, very cool. Watch out for those Pete's Blasters however; they are lethal.

You can check out the highlights on my webpage: www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html (check out the 2000 Abaco report).
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:27 AM

Robert

Both of our trips to the Abacos were spent on Lubbber’s Quarters with three days at the end of one trip on Great Guana so I’m very familiar with the island. It does make an excellent base to explore the southern cays. Actually last trip we went as far north as Baker’s Bay and south to Pete’s Pub in Little Harbour that Callalo mentioned. Cracker P’s is the only restaurant but it’s a great place for a casual island meal and Kaliks. They are closed certain nights so plan accordingly, there’s no other choices on the Lubber’s.

Definitely get a copy of Dodge’s Guide. The largest snorkeling area is Sandy Cay ( part of the Pelican Cays Land and Sea Park ). There are mooring balls there although they often become detached. Try to time snorkeling at slack tide as there is a definite tidal surge in the area.

Another place worth a visit is Tahiti beach on Elbow just across from Lubber’s.

Where are you staying on Lubber’s?
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for the replies. I will be staying at Sea level Cottage. The website was helpful, and I printed out your experiences in the area. I guess I'll have to do some grocery shopping in Marsh Harbor before boating over to Lubbers, if the only eatery is closed certain days. I will definately snorkel Sandy Cay. Thanks again for your input!! Robert
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM

Most people buy their initial groceries in Marsh Harbour before heading to the outer cays. You can eat on other cays just need to be back by dark. If you need additional groceries they're just a short boat ride away in Hopetown.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

RobertoB: I guess the best option will be to buy enough food in MH for several days on Lubbers, and if I run out, go food shopping in Elbow Cay. I'll probably due some spin fishing as well off Lubber's shores, so I'll most likely have some grilled fish filets as well! Thanks for the reco's. Robert