Reload this Page >

best island in the caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:58 AM
pthom

Am making plans for a long visit to one of the islands in the caribbean. In your opinion, what is the one that I cannot miss?

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Joyce

Everyone would have a different opinion on this on. It depends on what you are looking for, how much you want to spend, whether you want metropolitan or secluded.<BR>That said, my favorites are.<BR>Jamaica (great Value, Beautiful Beaches, best Rum in the World, also best Coffee.)7 mile beach in Negril is the best. Waterfalls, rafting down a lazy river, Sunset at Rick's Cafe in Negril, Plantations and Gardens are attractions.<BR>Aruba for it's moonscape topography, beautiful beaches, cleanliness and no poverty. Attractions Natural Bridge, lighthouse, Baby Beach<BR>USVI-best duty free shopping, American territory, cove beaches, great snorkeling.<BR>St. Lucia-drive through volcano, rainforest hikes, beaches are golden (not white). Beautiful volcanic island.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Kim

St.Lucia gets my vote, very lush and green. Jamaica for it beaches! The Bahamas for it Clear Blue water.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Penney

I think that is a personal question and relly will vary and also depends on what you are looking for.<BR><BR>For atmosphere, I agree with Negril, Jamaica. We love the people, great tropical feel, beautiful beaches, neat thiings to see and do.<BR><BR>St.Kitts is one of the pretties islands we have been to but not sure that I could spend an extended period here as it is a very quiet island. The same for Turks and Caicos - one fo the most beautiful beaches in the CAribbean but nothing really to offer on the island.<BR><BR>Also, I think it depends on what you plan to do; some island are wonderufl for nightlife and shopping (Aruba as well as beaches) while others for nothing other then vegging on the beach!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Trish

Curacao. The tradewinds are strong, so beaches are windy, however, this is our favorite island. In fact, when we retire, we want to snowbird there. Lots of attractions and decent supermarkets. Nothing to worry about safety-wise. Something fun for everyone. Great restaurants, Curacao distillery -lots of free samples Amstel brewery and lots of shopping.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Brian

As a Brit who first arrived to live in Antigua 32 years ago, and actually came back 20 years ago to live permanently, I cannot imagine trying any of the other islands - even though I have been to most of them.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:19 PM
ryan

I think Joyce makes a strong point in terms of different opinions. The answer really depends on your idea of fun and your own budget considerations. <BR><BR>Personally, I'd go somewhere secluded and less popular like Mustique or Bequia. If you want peace and quiet, with just a bit of nightlife,this is the spot. You can easily take day sails to several other little islands, no of which are popular with the cruise ships. On Mustique, you may even be able to have a few cocktails with Bowie and Jagger at Basil's bar.<BR><BR>If you want something a bit more populated, I'd suggest Barbados. Nice hotels and some great beaches.