TCI - is a car essential?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to TCI and we would like to know if renting a car for the entire time is necessary? We haven't decided what resort we're staying at yet, but we do know we'll be staying in the Provo area.

Are there some nice restaurants within walking distance of most hotels in this area? Are there shops we can walk to? We are thinking about renting a car for a few days during our stay, but not for the entire 10 days. What are your thoughts on this? Should we have the car for the entire 10 days?? Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM

A car would definitely be an advantage because Grace Bay is long and you can't walk to all restaurants (perhaps a few depending where you end up staying). Its also nice to see the rest of the island. Will you be renting a place with a kitchen? If so, you will want to be able to stock up on drinks and groceries.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM

I say yes. They cost less than 1 rt taxi ride, yet unlimited freedom.
Returning home from a restaurant at night, I personally would have a car.

Restaurants are in clumps, not all the great restaurants are together, they are scattered.

If you want to enjoy other beaches, load the car with food, see amazing Chalk Sound or go to places like Da Conch Shack or snorkel off the beach, regardless of where you stay sooner or later you'll need transportation.

What's your budget? When are you going? Can make some recs.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We've ben to Ocean Club West 3 times without a car. We could walk to the grocery store and many restaurants. They have a shuttle to Ocean Club for some variety and to the golf course.

I do agree about the cabs being expensive though so on our 4th visit next week we will have a car to go Turtle Cove, etc. for dinner and the Conch Shack. We did get around a bit with another couple who had a car and decided that we would rent one this time. I guess it would depend on what you want to do on the island.

Look at a hotel site map. IMO,if you stay in the area of Grace Bay Club, Ocean Club West, Seven Stars, you can get around quite well. Staying more to either end of the beach, you definitely would need a car.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM

I like the area around The Somerset resort www.thesomerset.com 2 onsite restaurants ( casual LunaSea, highend O'Soleil) Walk next door to Bay Bistro ( excellent) just beyond that casual at Hemmingways, in the other direction P23 and Plunge at Regent Palms resort, Mango Reef just beyond that. Also- great spa at Regent Palms ( wife loves it) Perfect location !!
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:56 AM

For the same price as Ocean Club West, you can do OCEast and have a car. OCE has a better location than OCW, its a bit older, but the car will give you more freedom
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 07:09 AM

We are going back next fall and will definitely rent a car. The taxis are quite expensive and depending on where you stay, you will be very limited without one.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Your comments are very helpful. Once we decide where we're staying, I will return here to ask a few more questions. Thanks again all.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I have another question(s)

We will be staying for 10 days. We would like to rent a car for a few days, but not for our entire stay. How much will a taxi cost (approximately) from the airport to the Grace Bay area? Does anyone know if there will be any problems getting a rental car part way through our stay. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM

No problems getting cars halfway through stay unless it's a crowded time of year(Christmas, Thanksgiving, spring breaks, etc)

BUT taxi is outrageous. 1 ride will cost a car rental. Depending where you stay, it can really add up. All the great restaurants are scattered, and you really will want to check out Chalk Sound, what a sight! Amazing they would charge so much, it's just of within 10 miles!

Plus you'll relax more without playing the someone call for me, wait for it and carry cash game.

Car rentals average $39 to $49 daily.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 08:10 AM

Last November, a taxi from the airport cost $25 for the two of us.