Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Punta Cana vs. La Romana (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/punta-cana-vs-la-romana-724692/)

tlbrod Jul 29th, 2007 10:18 AM

Punta Cana vs. La Romana

My husband and I are looking at taking a trip for our 25th wedding anniversary in October. We had friends that went to an AI (Gran Bahia Principe) a couple years ago and really liked it. We have been considering it but we would like something a little more adult oriented. The more I look at the forums here, I see more and more about La Romana. Can one of the experts tell me the top pros & cons about Punta Cana vs. La Romana? I was also looking at the Excellance in Punta Cana. We would like a place that is not real "touristy". We would like nice beach, nice bars and fun for all. We are 44 & 45 so we don't want something to laid back. We still like to have fun.

spongiebob Aug 5th, 2007 06:42 AM

i can't tell you about La Romana, but the beach in Punta cana is beautiful!!!! Perhaps tripadvisor.com would be useful. They have a punta cana and la romana forum, as well as hotel reviews and photos.

schmerl Aug 5th, 2007 12:57 PM

I stayed at Excellence Punta Cana two years ago and loved it. Adults only, two person jacuzzi in every room, lots of acitivities throughout the day or you can choose to just relax.

tlbrod Aug 6th, 2007 03:34 AM

Thanks for your replies. I did some more reading and my husband helped with the final decision but we went with Excellance in Punta Cana.

What advice do you have as far as not getting sick and I have been seeing posts about malaria? Should we take medication? I would think the resorts should be a safe area. I know not to drink tap water but I was a little concerned about the malaria issue.

schmerl Aug 6th, 2007 06:00 AM

Check with your doctor about taking malaria meds. The state department usually puts out alerts about these things. The resorts do spray for insects, but you are in a tropical environement and mosqutos love it there. Bring insect repellant. I applied it only at night. I received a couple bites on my ankles when I did not use the repellent.
The resort supplies bottled water. Ask for as much as you want for your room. Brush your teeth using the bottled water also. Even though resorts have water purifiers, try not to swallow water in the shower either.
We did not get sick at all while at Excellence Punta Cana.
Have a wonderful time.

doug_stallings Aug 6th, 2007 08:49 AM

The CDC does not currently have a warning about malaria in the Punta Cana area. I think you may be seeing posts about malaria outbreaks that have happened after hurricanes and protracted tropical storms in the past couple of years.

There are instances of Dengue Fever, however, and you should be more alert about those, though not overly concerned. Protect yourself from mosquitos with bug spray and by covering arms and legs at dusk and at night, when mosquitoes are at their most active. As the other posters say, the resorts do spray a lot, and this helps.

I'm curious about where you've seen these malaria posts.

mhummel Aug 6th, 2007 06:45 PM

Go to the CDC website : www.cdc.gov
and then work your way to the Travel
precautions area.

They consistently site the Domenican
Republic as a Malaria warning area

Apparently there were @ 20 reported cases there a few years ago.

A physician friend of mine placed her family members on malaria Prophylaxis
when she went to Punta Cana three years ago

ParrotMom Aug 7th, 2007 05:22 PM

Oh come on folks!!! What malaria medication..lol. We have been going to the D.R for more years than i want to think about Punta Cana, Puerta Platta and our favorite La Romana..First..we hav NEVER been sick..MOST PEOPLE GET sick from drinking too many fruit based drinks,...especially with coconut which is a laxative...and of course drinking until they fal ldown flat and I've seen it..th other thing is if your going to a reputable resort they spray for bugs every evening. I love the beaches at La Romana far better than Punta Cana..