Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Punta Cana-->Melia or Paradisus or Secrets Excellence.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/punta-cana-melia-or-paradisus-or-secrets-excellence-284597/)

CROMMM39 Feb 3rd, 2003 05:14 PM

Punta Cana-->Melia or Paradisus or Secrets Excellence....

I can't decide. All the resorts there are good and bad reviews. It bothers me a bit that a lot of reviews claim the same thing......AC breaking, power outages or shortage or towels or cleaning service. In resorts of this caliber I would expect more. I like secrets because it's adults only. I dont know how many kids there are at the others, but the melia seems to be the best deal. We are looking for good dining, good entertainment and activies and nice accomodations. I don't want to stay at a place that if full to capacity seems crowded. Since secrets is not in punta cana I have no idea how nice the beach is either. Can anyone help us out here?

ParrotMom Feb 3rd, 2003 05:47 PM

Try.../www.debbiesdominicantravel.com for reviews.... We are headed to Punta Cana on Sunday and if I see one more snow flake before going I'm going to freak... We just had over 8 inches on Sunday...and I'm not...lol---Secrets I believe is in Punta Cana...

Morgan Feb 4th, 2003 06:56 AM

Punta Cana is a budget destination and you will not find 5 star resorts as we know 5 star resorts. I believe that the only true 5 star resort in the DR is Casa de Campo. It has excellent dining (and not buffet) and tons of activities.

wdom Feb 5th, 2003 07:29 PM

I was at Secrets last April. It was perfect. The resort was certainly high end. The food was wonderful. Lots of ammenities. Tons of watersorts and activities. Apple vacations had provided an excellent package. I was even considering going back in june for my honeymoon.

Iriemon Feb 6th, 2003 06:30 AM

Have you considered the Club Miguel Angel within the Occidental Flamenco Bavaro? Concierge level contained within the larger resort. Private checkin, restaurant, lounge, bar and pool, 2 and 3 rooms suites, mini bar, cigar club among other things. Cost was about $120US extra per person if booked at the time of original booking.

wintkat Feb 7th, 2003 03:07 PM

Just returned from 10 days Punta Cana. Stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropical. Excellent vacation with great weather etc. The complex is large but &quot;train&quot; available every 15 minutes from main lobbies to beach. Very impressed with hotel, staff and service. We booked thru vacmart.com and thought the price was good. Would definitely return to this hotel.<BR><BR><BR>

GucciCoochie Feb 7th, 2003 03:55 PM

If any of you are on AOL, someone posted there recently that Secrets was considering allowing children during this coming summer.<BR><BR>Definetely check that out before you book that honeymoon. Nothing would piss me off more than paying a tad bit more for this place, then showing up to hear screaming children.<BR><BR>JMHO.....................