Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Punta Cana-- Ibersostar differences (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/punta-cana-ibersostar-differences-182507/)

John Mar 26th, 2002 06:46 AM

Punta Cana-- Ibersostar differences

What's the difference in the 3 Iberostar resorts in Punta Cana? Bavaro, Punta Cana and Dominicana? We like things a bit on the mellow side, but want good food, diving and a great beach.<BR><BR>Thanks

Lisa Jul 2nd, 2002 08:29 AM

If you are serious about diving, you might wish to consider the new Iberostar Hacidenda Dominicus resort in La Romana - the diving in that area is much better.

gracie Jul 3rd, 2002 08:36 AM

I stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro last November and I could say the difference is between the Bavaro and the other two. The Bavaro resort is made up of many two floor complexes which house 8 rooms each. They actually look like individual houses whereas the Punta Cana and the Dominicana are 6 story buildings.<BR>Also the gardens, lobby and pool at the Bavaro are much nicer and more luxurious. Our room was beautiful. Marble bathroom, wooden parquet floors and a lovely balcony. <BR>The Bavaro makes you feel less crowded. At the Bavaro you'll find the Japanese Restaurant which is great but you shouldn't miss the mexican restaurant Maria Bonita next door at the Dominicana. The three resorts communicate inside so you can walk through them with no problems.<BR><BR>Didn't do any diving so I couldn't tell you if it's worth it..try checking out the reviews at www.debbiesdominicantravel.com. They are highly helpful in planning a visit to Punta Cana.<BR>Good luck

Dave Jul 7th, 2002 06:20 AM

At IBB, you can go to all the restaurants, but at the 2 others you can't go to the ones at IBB. The beaches are all continuous, but there are shady coverings at IBB. Don't know about diving. We felt that IBB was worth it, for the more relaxed feel of the rooms, which are larger, and being more separated. That is the way to go if you can and want to pay the difference.

Cale Jul 7th, 2002 01:08 PM

The three resorts are next to one another all sharing the same beach and essentially all the same facilities except the restaurants and swim up bar at the Bravaro. The palapas are for everyone's use and stretch from the Punta Cana through the Domincana to the Bravaro. This is quite a plus since the RIU resorts next to the Iberostar Punta Cana offer no beach shade at all. If you stay at the Dominicana you may upgrade to a junior suite. We requested an upgrade to a beachfront junior suite and were greatly pleased to find our request granted. Many posters talk of a free upgrade, but ours was ten dollars per person per day. I think it was money well spent as we were literally steps from the beach. This is a large resort. If enjoying the beach is the focus of your vacation, you will certainly benefit from the beachside location. We were not at all impressed with the food and did not scuba dive so I can't help you there.