Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to go some where and stay in an ocean front villa/hut/bungalow that is on a mostly private or secluded beach. I just dont want to be bombarded with people to my left and right while trying to relax and sun bathe with my husband. Pricing wise I want cheap! Like under 2000 for a whole week. Or somewhere around 100-150 a night. I know there is a lot of good stuff out there thats expensive but is there anything secluded and private in this price range?
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM

the maya riveria (south of cancun) should work for you. take a look at locogringo.com
the further south towards tulum you go the more quiet. you might like tankah bay beach or soliman bay beach. if those are too remote look near the town of akumal, where you might find a condo or villa.
you need to rent a car if you want to explore at all - maybe just for a day or 2 as they are pricey.
and if you choose this plan to stop at sorianna grocery store in playa del carmen on your way from airport to your villa.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:46 PM

Beachfront property is hugely expensive, private self contained villa at your price doesn't exist.

At your price, while you might find quiet, it won't be private or secluded. Or even self contained villa.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Inexpensive, secluded, beachfront. One of those will have to go. Agree that Mayan riviera, low season, is your best bet.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 05:40 PM

You don't say what your travel budget is for getting there but for lodging price, take a look at this:

http://www.keelpointcottages.com/index.html

Anegada is a remote place with a few great beach bars, simple restaurants, and gorgeous beaches but, depending on where you are traveling FROM, it could cost you quite a bit to get there.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 05:43 PM

In addition to Mexico you might also look at Roatan or Utila, Honduras .
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 03:13 AM

Keel Point is 2 & 1/2 times their budget.

Price not realistic for a "bungalow" on a private secluded beach. Hard to find for $1000 a night these days, Caribbean is popular and expensive.

Belize might come close, maybe Placencia area, or even Panama. the thing with Roatan, Belize, etc, is then air costs more.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 04:31 AM

blamona is right - OP's budget is unrealistic for what she wants. Seclusion in the Caribbean comes at a price - so too, beachfront property. Combining those two elements makes it even more expensive.

To put things in persecutive for OP - undeveloped Caribbean beachfront property is very expensive, think in terms of $10,000 to $30,000 per beachfront foot (making a 100' wide plot a minimum of $1 million). At those kind of prices NOBODY builds a simple hut, bungalow, cottage that will rent for $100 or $150/night. They are going to build multi-bedroom luxury villas or multi-unit high-rise condos.

OP doesn't say when she's going on this trip but if it is during Low Season (late Spring through early Fall) crowds should be an issue unless she goes to places like Cancun, Cozumel and some parts of the Dominican Republic - trouble is those are the destinations that are going to be closest to her price range, assuming she's willing to stay in a standard type of hotel/resort - private villas are going to be out of the question.

OP needs to rethink her budget or be willing to make some concessions. Sorry if this isn't what OP wants to hear but reality is reality - they days of a little grass shack on a beach disappeared over 75 years ago.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 07:17 AM

The $2000 per week is just for the villa, correct?? If yes, you most certainly can find a home for that price for a week. We stayed at Oceanaire on the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas for our honeymoon and I think we saw maybe 2 people the entire week. It rents for $1750 a week. There may be a few more homes in the area now but Eleuthera is known for the footprints in the sand being your's alone.

Also, the link above for Keel Point, the one bedrooms villas go for between $1400 and $1700 a week.

Heck you can even rent your own private ISLAND in Utila for under that weekly budget.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 10:55 AM

Hi JDJ- glad you read that the same way I did- the price was "lodging" as I read it since we don't even know where the OP is traveling from. Keel Point for a week in the summer season is $1400 a week for a one bedroom and comes with a jeep/car. Anegada is definitely a quiet, off the beaten path place. We spent a whole afternoon one day in April a few years ago at Cow Wreck and were the ONLY people there the whole time- same for a morning at Loblolly.
There are still small cottages in the out islands of the Bahamas, as you and I both know, for less than $2000 a week. I guess "our" travel style is just not the same as some other people's.
Keep looking, Alysham and have a nice trip.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 10:57 AM

oops- hit the "m" instead of the comma- sorry Alysha.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM

https://www.locogringo.com/mexico/ac...illas-gemelas/
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 04:46 AM

You should be able to find a villa on one of the bahama out islands in that price range which will likely be on a quiet seculed beach. Islands I would recommend for beaches are Eleuthera and Long island in the bahamas. Take a look at VRBO.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 02:32 PM

You should look into some of the small hotels in Tulum. There are a lot of unique small places to stay there and you might be able to find something close to your budget. I'll soon be posting a trip report soon for our Tulum vacation from the fall. The area is more rustic than the Playa Del Carmen but the beach less crowded. If you watch where you eat, you can cut costs and enjoy some good food.