Puerto Rico/Vieques airfare help

Jun 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Puerto Rico/Vieques airfare help

I thought I saw on an earlier post that fares to PR should be going down...we're actually getting married there in October and missed our window for purchasing cheap tickets (back in Feb they were $250!); now they're $550. I'm looking for reassurance I guess -- is anyone more familiar with airfare to the Caribbean able to help me? Thanks a lot!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:00 AM
owa

From where?

Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:13 AM

The cheapest airfares to Puerto Rico tend to be on Spirit or JetBlue, but having said that, all the majors can have good fares if they are running a sale. I think it's a virtual impossibility that you will find a $250 sale that will get you all the way to Vieques (perhaps San Juan, but only if you are coming from, say, Fort Lauderdale). The flight from San Juan to Vieques might be $250 round-trip, if you decide to fly and not take a ferry. The chance that there will be a sale in October is pretty good, but you won't find out until probably later in the summer.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
ccc

It will be cheaper if you buy your ticket to San Juan separately from your Vieques ticket as the only airline which cooperates with the major carriers is Cape Air, which tends to be the most expensive. Even so, a roundrip on Cape Air shouldn't be more than $150 or $160. Other airlines which fly from SJU to VQS are Vieques Air Link, Air Sunshine, and MN Aviation. It is cheaper to fly from Isla Grande in San Juan rather than the international airport. Lastly, the really cheap way to go is to take a taxi to the ferry and take the ferry, which costs $2 + taxi fare.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM

Where are you flying from? American Airlines has been having a big sale lately.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:12 AM

Hi,

I just priced out airfare from Philadelphia to San Juan for November on both american and USairways for $298 r/t. I used the airlines websites as well as several other sites.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses!

I wasn't clear enough...we're flying from Detroit to San Juan, and driving to Fajardo to catch the ferry to Vieques. I wasn't planning on flying through to VQS. Our main carriers are NWA and Spirit, and I've been cruising their sites hoping for SOME sort of drop in prices...I'll just have to wait it out, I guess!

Thanks again for all your help.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM

I doubt that you're going to see a huge fare sale on Northwest, but you should be able to get something decent from Spirit, but it's going to be more expensive to fly to San Juan from Detroit than from Chicago or even New York. If you can find a fare for around $300 or $350, that would be very good indeed.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM

Spirit seems to be having an airfare sale right now. I just looked at their web site and plugged in dates in mid-October, finding a fare of $119 each way to San Juan. This probably doesn't include taxes, so don't expect your fare to be $260; it may be more like $320.
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:13 PM

ccc is correct. Fly to PR then for $150-$160 RT you can fly to Vieques. So, total would be about $400 with taxes.
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:37 AM

PRDaf,I really loved our trip to Vieques. The island is so beautiful and the beaches are wonderful! It's one of the most 'tropical'islands I've ever been to!
We took Vieques Air Link from PR to Vieques.Not too bad if you don't mind small planes...
Debbie