Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Puerto Rico's Best Beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/puerto-ricos-best-beach-272016/)

Annie Nov 9th, 2002 03:38 AM

Puerto Rico's Best Beach?

We have been to Puerto Rico two times - first time staying at Palmas del Mar and the second time at Ponce. The beaches near those places were just okay - nothing spectacular. We will be going to Puerto Rico again during the holiday week and staying on the south shore. Which beaches are the best on the south shore and which beach is the island's best? Thanks.

rqf Nov 9th, 2002 03:52 AM

My experience has been that the beaches on the south shore are adequate at best. The beaches on the north and west shores are generally better. Go to http://www.travelandsports.com. Click on beaches for a listing of all beaches. There is a small picture of the beach included.

Annie Nov 9th, 2002 04:17 AM

Thanks, rqf, for the website information. What beaches would you suggest on the west shore?

Mariarosa Nov 9th, 2002 03:45 PM

Annie, what kind of beach you're looking for? The reason why I ask is because my in-laws asked me the same question a few years ago. They were staying in San Juan and wanted to spend a few days elsewhere on the island (but did not want to track all the way to Vieques or Culebra). So I suggested the southwestern part of the island - Guanica and Cabo Rojo. This area has some of my favorite beaches - many of them are small coves with very tranquil water. <BR><BR>Well, they were disapointed and wished they would have stayed the whole time in San Juan. They loved the Isla Verde and Condado beach because their criteria for a great beach is : 1) lots of waves for the &quot;kids&quot; (17 and up) to play in and body surf, 2) places to have a drink on the beach, 3) a looooong beach for long walks. San Juan beaches are great for these criteria, while none of these options were available in the southwestern part of the island. However, since I prefer smaller, cove-type, calm water beaches I led them astray!

Annie Nov 10th, 2002 01:36 AM

Hello Mariarosa, we are looking for a beautiful, tranquil white sand beach with palm trees. We did not like the beaches at Isla Verde - lined with hotels and not palm trees! <BR><BR>We enjoy taking walks on the beach and then sitting for a while to just enjoy the scenery. We also love to have lunch or dinner at a restaurant with a beautiful view. I checked out the website which rqf suggested and saw the beach at Cabo Rojo - it looks just about perfect. <BR><BR>Can you suggest some great restaurants with lovely water views (beach, harbor, etc.) from Ponce west and do-able in a day? <BR><BR>Thanks.

Jana Nov 11th, 2002 02:28 AM

I will be in Puerto Rico next week and staying in Guanica. I would also like to find out about beaches and restaurants along the south and west coast. Anyone know anything about La Parguera?

Mariarosa Nov 11th, 2002 05:48 AM

Annie and Jana, on the south-western shore you can visit Cana Gorda, Guilligan (by short ferry) and Ballena (by short ferry) in Guanica. In Cabo Rojo, you can visit Boqueron and Combate beaches. Do not forget to visit the Faro - gorgeous scenery. In Lajas, the hotels in La Parguera can arrange to drop you off at one of the many cays in the area.<BR><BR>Food in this area is very simple. You won't find the &quot;fusion&quot; and &quot;nouveau&quot; cuisine that you find in San Juan. My favorites are grilled shrimp or Mahi-Mahi (dorado) or red snapper (chillo) in garlic sauce with a side of tostones (fried green plantains). Or mofongo (green plantains mashed with pork rind and garlic) stuffed with seafood. There are many simple restaurants in Joyuda (Cabo Rojo), Boqueron (Cabo Rojo) and La Parguera (Lajas).<BR><BR>As a side note, I like the beaches in Vieques, Culebra, Luquillo and Seven Seas (Fajardo) a lot. But these are not feasible to visit if you are staying near Ponce or Guanica.

Annie Nov 11th, 2002 08:27 AM

Thank you, Mariarosa, for your helpful information. I am looking forward to my trip.