Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Puerto Rico or not to Puerto Rico (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/puerto-rico-or-not-to-puerto-rico-78995/)

Keith Jul 10th, 2000 07:30 PM

Puerto Rico or not to Puerto Rico

We are planning on going to Puerto Rico with another couple in October. Any recommendations on where to stay and what to do? Overall recomendation on the island?

Eileen Jul 11th, 2000 05:33 AM

I did not like San Juan at all -- it is just one big city with all the negatives associated with a city. I like to get away from it all on vacation. Fortunately, when we went (March 1999) we stayed 45 minutes outside of the city at the Hyatt Dorado (sister hotel Hyatt Cerramar 1 mile away -- shuttle between the two). We absolutely loved the Dorado and highly recommend it. The two resorts have everything, you don't have to go into San Juan at all if you don't want to. Check it out at www.Hyatt.com

cj Jul 11th, 2000 10:19 AM

I agree with the other person about San Juan -- too city! <BR> <BR>Depending upon your likes and dislikes, I hear that the places in the south of the island are really beautiful. Also, the islands between PR and St. Thomas (Culebra and Vieques) could be a nice possibility, especially if you like less bustle and you love great snorkeling -- especially Culebra. Culebra's only drawback -- for some -- is that there is no glitz, no pampering. You're more of a guest than a tourist there, folks are friendly and there is virtually NO crime.

Wilfredo Jul 11th, 2000 11:51 AM

Check www.prtourism.com for information on where to go and where to stay. If you have any specific question feel free to email me directly.

peg Jul 12th, 2000 03:07 AM

Hi -- agree on SJ, it's worth a day or two, and you should tour Old SJ, but otherwise we found it dirty & crowded. <BR> <BR>Outside SJ is really beautiful. We spent a couple nights in Rincon (stayed at the Lazy Parrot--wonderful!) on the west coast, and drove all over the area and down to Ponce--loved it all. If you're going to do this, you'll need a good map--suggest you buy one at Barnes & Noble before you go--rental agency maps aren't great. We were unable to visit the east coast (Fajardo area), but it was highly recommended, and is supposed to be much more "caribbean" than the rest of the island. We'll go there next time, but again, highly recommend the west coast. Lovely. Have a great time. <BR>

Tom Jul 12th, 2000 09:21 AM

It's hard to give recommendations as you did not indicate your likes and dislikes. Some of the above posts have commented negatively about the San Juan area. It is a large city - but that's not necessarily negative. It has all of the advantages of a city - lots of dining and nightlife options, plus the aded advantage that you're still on the beach. Naturally, since it is a city, it is not as scenic as some other areas of Puerto Rico. Let us know more of what you're looking for and we can better respond to your request.

matt chametzky Jul 13th, 2000 11:04 AM

Personaaly, I love San Juan precisely because it offers both great beaches (Isla Verde and Ocean Park; not far from Luquillo) and the urban amenities of restaurants, bars, museums, diverse population. It's not an isolation booth, it's a real place.