Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Puerto Rico or Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/puerto-rico-or-barbados-320312/)

laplaya May 24th, 2003 09:30 AM

Puerto Rico or Barbados

Which island do you like better for beaches, tropical atmosphere and nature, i.e. palm trees & flowers? Does food at both islands cost $150/day for 2 people for lunch & dinner?

Lois May 25th, 2003 03:30 AM

I love Barbados - it's much smaller than Puerto Rico, however (166 sq. miles), but plenty big for exploring. The beaches are MUCH nicer -- white sand, gorgeous waters. West Coast extremely calm; South Coast a mix, with some of both, and the Atlantic side is wild & gorgeous.

Food costs may run you higher than $150/day for both for 2 people if you like to eat at nicer places. Lunch may run you $40-60 for 2 (glass of wine & entree); Dinner at the best restaurants will run you $150-$200. Moderate priced places at night it may only run $80-$100. The inexpensive, local type places will run you much less - probably 1/2 of what I've mentioned above.

VirginTraveler Jul 10th, 2003 05:27 PM

We are leaving last week of July for Puerto Rico then Barbados--I found the airfare was much cheaper to stopover a few days at SJU than to fly straight to BGI. My (tentative) plan is to rent a car to travel to Camuy for the caves, then Rincon for surfing, Mayaguez for the zoo and Mona, then back to El Yunque and possibly Vieques. This is a lot to pack into 3 and a half days, so I have a few questions someone may be able to answer, or guide me to (or away from!) certain areas.
1. Are the big fort and Bacardi plant worth the time? We are more interested in the eco/nature attractions, but I've heard those two are must-sees.
2. Is it true you need to get to the caves really early on a Saturday morning to ensure entry?
3. Is there any good surfing in Rincon this time of year?
4. Is Rincon a good place for lodging? I'm considering LemonTree, Coconut Palms Inn, and Beside the Point.
5. Any advice for a day trip to Mona--is it worth it? How about the zoo?
6. Best place to eat in Mayaguez?

I realize that if we do all of those things, there may not be time to do the rainforest AND Vieques...but I've read the biobay is not to be missed. However, if we spend the last night in Vieques, I'm concerned about getting back to SJU in time for a 10:30 am departure.

Sorry for such a long post--I'm just tired of scrolling through web pages and leafing through generic tourism guides for answers to all these questions.

Lakersreloaded Jul 12th, 2003 02:22 PM

Ive been to Barbados 2 times and i like it but the big problem is it feels like a new york until you get away from brigetown, in my opinon i like Puerto Rico because of the hyatt regency cerromar beach with its River (pool) all you have to do is lift your feet and float down river into the 5 story water slide area and el yunke is also a big treat

sammyito Jul 13th, 2003 08:42 PM

Dear Virgin Traveler: For diversity, I highly recommend Puerto Rico. You're planning way to much though for such a short stay. I would suggest staying in San Juan where you can then rent a car for day 1: all day trip to rain forest/Luquillo Beach for hiking then swimming; day 2: all day trip to Camuy. 1 1/2 hour drive so do leave early (7-8am) as caves will close once they reach their max capacity. This is a great easy drive passing pineapple fields and then traveling in island through the mountains. I would pass on Rincon this trip and plan a late fall/early spring trip for best surfing. Forget Mona as it takes a good day just to get there by boat and once there, very remote but for hard core bringing all provisions you can overnight in tent you bring yourself. I'd also pass on Mayaguez Zoo being not too exciting if you've ever been to a zoo. Personally, I find Mayaguez too industrialized and not fun at all. I do suggest Old San Juan and its forts, museums and outdoor cafes all with authentic Spanish charm. Bacardi? Eh...the most fun may be taking ferry across bay to Catano where you can catch van to facilities. Vieques is another 'next trip' destination unless you fly over from San Juan. Otherwise, by the time you drive to Fajardo, catch ferry over, it's almost time to catch last ferry back to return, unless you plan to spend a night in Vieques. All in all, you'll either need to lengthen your stay considerably or plan to return. Given your interests, there's way to much to see in a 3 1/2 day stay.