Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Provo where to stay? Sands, Ocean Club, RWI or Coral Gardens? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/provo-where-to-stay-sands-ocean-club-rwi-or-coral-gardens-224416/)

Paul May 23rd, 2002 04:30 PM

Provo where to stay? Sands, Ocean Club, RWI or Coral Gardens?

Message: Wife and I are traveling with a <BR>9 yr old girl.... Which would be the best place? I can get a good deal at Coral Gardens or pay normal price at any of the 3 others. Which should we stay at. Priorities are...beach... nice large room, pool for child now and the possibility of another child or two for our daughter to hook up with. Thank you!!<BR><BR>

Sara May 24th, 2002 04:18 AM

Paul.....they're all nice IMHO....all have their + and -'s I dont think you could go wrong with any of them really.<BR>Grace Bay beach is fantastic no matter which part of it you stay on.

howard May 24th, 2002 05:30 AM

Have ben to Provo 11 times and the last six stayed at Coral Gardens which I highly recommend. Were there for a week in April and going back on 30 May. If your daughter is a swimmer perhaps she can learn to snorkel on the reef right off the beach. It is an excellent place to snorkel. Feel free to E-mail me with questions

denette May 24th, 2002 07:00 AM

Paul,<BR>Just returned from Provo, stayed at Coral Gardens, only can give you opinion on that property, but the accomodations are absolutely wonderful, corian marble like tile, one entire glass wall that completely opens up to give you that 3-sided feel that everyone seems to love. It is most convenient(right in front of resort) to the coral and underwater trail that everyone walks to or drives down to. You have the conveience to snorkle several times a day which was great. <BR><BR>There are two pools on property, one a lap pool that I only saw being used one time the whole 8 days we were there and the other one for general swimming. We did not see many chidren at Coral Gardens, but then again we were there a month ago when school was still in session so if you are going in summer you should have a greater chance of other children with their families.<BR><BR>Please pack plenty of sunscreen, the sun is relentless and go down early and put your towels or something down to reserve a couple of chaise lounges under the umbrellas. They are supposed to be only used by Coral Gardens guest but the crowds from Beaches ends up taking many of them and some people use them briefly and some people stay for several hours and the shade is a valuable commodity after just a couple of days.<BR><BR>Most of the time the water is very smooth with easy swimming and snorkeling but if the wind is up and out of 8 days we were there that only happened 2 days, you can rent a life jacket for your daughter and she can linger and linger when she snorkels with little to no effort.<BR>Have a great time and safe travel.

Patty May 24th, 2002 03:44 PM

Howard, Do you own at Coral Gardens? I see your posts on several different sites & seems you go frequently to Provo & wondering if possibly you are an owner since so many responses re Coral Gardens?

Howard May 25th, 2002 05:21 AM

No I don't own a condo at Coral Gardens for several reasons--Can't afford it--Don't think it is a particularily good investment and don't want to tie myself to one island. Have been to Provo numerous times stayed at several resorts and seen most of the others and think Coral Gardens is the best if one can afford it. In fact we were in Provo in April and just found a great airfare from Miami ($169 r/t) so we're going again on 30 May. Live in Fla. Also found a great resort on Anguilla. Am practicing to be a travel agent in my next life. Happy to help anyone plan their trip and it's just a hobby

Paul May 25th, 2002 07:52 AM

Thanks to you all! Howard....I'll be in touch again soon.