Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Provo Info (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/provo-info-741589/)

laurastew Oct 8th, 2007 04:48 PM

Provo Info

My husband and I will be visiting the Turks and Caicos, Provo, specifically, from 12/1-12/10 2007. For many years we have gone to St. John and rented a villa. We have also been to St. Barths, Culebra, Playa Riviera and the BVI's. We enjoy great beaches where you can read and swim, snorkeling, kayaking, sailing and peace and quiet. We have a modest budget and tend to go out to eat only once or twice.
I have narrowed down our accomodation choices to two possibilities. One is a condo at the Northwest Point resort and the second is a studio apartment, lower level of a house, in the Turtle Tail area. The ameneties and costs for both places are very close and the people we have contacted from both seem honest and friendly. Do any of you T & C regulars have any information that would help us to choose? Some comments have suggested that Northwest Point is almost "too " remote. Usually, we like being out of the fray, but since we have never been there before, am concerned that being in a very remote area would not give us as much of a chance to take advantage of the major attractions of the island. We expect to rent a car and so will have some flexibility to explore, especially some of the recommended beaches and snorkeling spots that Provo seems to have an abundance of. I guess i'm mainly asking for any comparison information about these two areas of the island for first time visitors. Would also welcome any feedback that folks have about condo resort vs. studio apartment. Or if anybody has stayed at Northwest Point, this would be helpful too. Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.
Laura.

blamona Oct 8th, 2007 05:23 PM

I've covered a big portion of Provo, and personally, while Northwest Point condos are nice themselves, the beachfront itself is the worst beach on Provo. The beach is grassy and seaweedy, even if it gets raked everyday.

It's not secluded, my opinion, it's isolated. There is nothing out there.

My opinion, but turtle Tail is a much nicer area.

You will need a car the whole time in both areas.

If you let us know your budget, we can help you find ways to save money, yet be closer to the hub, and gorgeous Grace Bay Beach.

laurastew Oct 9th, 2007 03:15 AM

You are a wonder winner for getting back to me so quickly! What you say about NWP is what I wondered. The studio we are considering on the ground floor of a house called Villa LunaSea. Are you familiar with the beach or area off of Turtle Tail Road? The apt. is oceanfront, but looks like a tad rocky for plunging right into the water. Pretty beach is a few minutes stroll. It also seemed as though this area was closer to the snorkeling access at Grace Bay beach and Salpodilla Bay. Either the studio or condo are each charging about 1200.00 per week + the 10% tax.
Anyway, i really appreciate your quick and knowledgeable response. A wonderful source of help and information. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or tips. Thanks, Laura.

turksoldtimer Oct 9th, 2007 05:57 AM

Look into www.southfleetwood.com or www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com
Southfleetwood has a small cottage with a pool and on Grace Bay
Aquamarine has a shared pool and tennis court close to off shore snorkeling on Grace Bay
Both have kitchens
Happy planning

virginia Oct 9th, 2007 06:04 AM

hi laura, i personally like the nw point condo location. it is however 1/2 hr drive out from "stuff". as i have been on island 3 times and have toured most places this would not bother me. i agree w/blamona though, it may be too remote for you. i did not swim at this beach only walked it. it was very nicely cleaned but the water may be a different issue.

you could look at http://www.comfortsuitestci.com/turk...slands/photos/
not condo but much closer to grace bay beach & resorts/restaurants.

the drive in from turtle tail should take about 15 mins. (note the whole island can be driven east to west in about an hour - airport to east end known as leeeward, w/trip out to nw point or malcolm road beach adding extra time. see this map: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
hmm the above link got me thinking. it has 3 wonderful houses in an excellent location. the site has no pricing though, so i advise you e them from their site and ask. a part of one of these villas might be in your price range. this is an outstanding location directly on grace bay beach, with it's own mini-reef.

when you dine out will you be seeking island finest of more budget oriented meals? there are many excellent options...

we always rent our car from scooter bobs at the turtle cove marina. they are very casual but will deliver the car to your house if you request.

laurastew Oct 9th, 2007 06:16 AM

You all are Great! Thanks for responding. I called and left a message at Aquamarine Beach houses because it looks lovely but never heard back. Maybe i'll try to e-mail instead. When we eat out we usually do budget, love a great beach shack/dive, but we also like to have a splurge meal once in awhile. Any favorites from you regulars would be most welcome. I will also check into southfleetwood and scooter bobs. Thanks again. Laura.

Kristen1206 Oct 9th, 2007 06:29 AM

I second Scooter Bob's for a rental car. They were awesome to deal with.

turksoldtimer Oct 9th, 2007 06:54 AM

Another option for cvar rentals would be www.gracebaycarrentals.com very good prices and the owner is great to deal with.
For a reasonable place to have breakfast and lunch try the Salt Mills Cafe at the Salt Mills plaza. For reasonable dinners The Mango reef has a special menu that is $30 dollars for appetizers, meal, and dessert. Calico Jacks has an all you can eat spagetti night, and Tiki Hut has $12.95 Chichen and Rib night on Wednesday

HowardC Oct 9th, 2007 08:03 AM

I would definitely look into Seagate which is right behind Coral Gardens and the snorkeling reef. About a two min walk to the beach. Nice pool and suites with kitchens. Check out www.theseagate.com. You night also look into www.villaoasis.com and check their rates. Barefoot Cafe in Ports of Call shopping plaza has very good food at a reasonable price.. If you are out driving around have lunch at Da Conch Shack in Blue Hills,

blamona Oct 9th, 2007 09:59 AM

http://www.vrbo.com/73525

May be of interest to you. It's at the Alexandra-centrally located, gorgeous location on Grace Bay, able to walk to numerous restaurants, "Heavenly" (like Westin) type beds.

Also check out Royal West Indies and Ocean Clubs, call them directly to see if something can fall under what you're looking for.

For first timers, I like to recommend somewhere on Grace Bay Beach-then explore to other areas you considered for the future.

mymoosie Oct 9th, 2007 04:27 PM

We all know I love Aquamarine...so here goes my vote for AMBH. :)
Full trip report from our previous visits here www.mymoosie.net

Wherever you end up, you will have a wonderful time!