Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Provo for New Years? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/provo-for-new-years-346138/)

_Erin_ Aug 8th, 2003 01:23 PM

Provo for New Years?

We're thinking about staying at the Royal West Indies in Provo (Turks & Caicos) for the week of New Years with two adults and three "kids" in their early 20's. We're looking for information on things to do (like jet skiing, parasailing, snorkeling, etc.) and places to go to do that (i.e. good tours). Also looking for info about good restaurants. Has anyone been there this time of year? What kind of crowds can we expect? Any advice on things to avoid or things not to miss? Also, when it comes to rooms at the Royal West Indies, is the ocean front really worth the extra money (in terms of view) as opposed to the ocean view?Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

mdm Aug 14th, 2003 12:05 PM

We just stayed at the royal west indies for 2 weeks. We had an ocean front room. In our opinion, if you want ocean front, request the second or third floor in the building. We expected to walk right out the door onto the beach, but we could barely see the water because of the landscaping and the dunes. There was barely a view. Also, we didn't get any type of breeze and it was very hot.
The resort is very clean and nice and the people are very friendly. As for activities, we had a great time on the sunset snorkeling cruise through turquoise tours (there's a desk at the resort and they'll book it for you).
The food was very good at the Mango Reef (right on the resort, Calico Jack's (casual), Bella Luna (expensive), Gecko Grille (a little fancier than most), Tiki Hut, Hemingways, and Danny Buoy's. Everything was delicious but very expensive.
There isn't much to see on the island. We rented a car for 7 of the 14 days and the road are horrible and all you really see is developments that have been started and were never finished. It's an island to relax, it's not for sightseeing. The beach is absolutely perfect. Club Med is right next door and the "kids" might enjoy that. It was very quiet during slow season, but I don't know what it's like in Dec-Jan. Hope I was helpful.

autumn Aug 21st, 2003 01:07 PM

We have reservations at Royal West Indies from 12/28-1/3. We chose the room without the view, mainly to keep the cost down a little. We are traveling with another family and we also have "kids" from 17-25 years old. We have 2 dives arranged and also a reservation for a whole day trip on a catamaran. We have not been there before, and are really looking forward to it. My only concern is that the weather will be warm enough. I'll be interested to see what other information is posted.

Michaelpl Aug 22nd, 2003 08:22 AM

We've traveled to the caribbean many times over the last few years. However until last year we've never done so in Dec/Jan. We were in Jamaica for New Years. The weather was warm but unsettled. (windy and now and then rainy) I remember talking to the manager of the hotel we stayed at. He said about the weather......"It must be getting cold in Florida. Whenever it gets cold there, we get unsettled weather." Now.....we all know it can get cold in Dec in Florida.(I won't even consider Florida for Xmass for that reason. So.....Provo is really not all that far South of the Bahamas or Florida for that matter. Why risk it? Provo for all it's nice water and beaches really has NOTHING to offer when the sea is to rough to enjoy and or it's to windy to be on the beach.(yes there are Great restaurants but...) Just MHO. You may get lucky in January but I would not do it. Have fun whatever you do!

JMM Aug 22nd, 2003 09:08 AM

Having been to provo at least 10 times including twice in early January, I have NEVER seen the ocean too rough to swim in (there is a barrier reef off shore) or found the beach too windy to walk on. However if you want really warm water it won't be in January. I find it is warm enough for me but I am from Canada. Also Provo is not a destination if you need a lot of activities. The main activities are swimming, snorkeling,fishing, walking along the gorgeous beach. Please DO NOT jet ski - Provo's national treasure Jojo a wild dolphin who chooses to socialize with people was nearly killed by a jet ski. As a result for years jet skis were banned - I think the ban has been lifted - much to the chagrin of people who care about dolphins. There really is not a lot of sightseeing on Provo - although if you rent a 4-wheel drive, the drive out to Malcolm Roads is interesting - at the end of the road - a wild beach, pretty little coves etc. Flying over to Grand Turk for the day might also be interesting. Re: crowds - there are never crowds in Provo - this is a big part of its charm. Not to miss - snorkeling at the White House reef - just in front of Coral Gardens Resort.