Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Provo Dec 09-Jan 10, need to find safe, budget accomodations!

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

I am a single female, traveling to Provo for the first time in December 2009-January 2010. I have seen suggestions for various resorts which are recommended as safe, but they are all much more expensive than what I am looking for.

I am looking to rent a condo, or something similar with a kitchenette, which is safe, as I will be traveling alone and somewhat near the beach!

Anyone have any suggestions for budget accommodations or where I could look to perhaps find a rental unit?

Thank you!!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Budget..check out Sibonne ( on the beach, older) Ocean Club
not Ocean Club West-it is newer and more $$, Trade Winds Condotel, not on beach--but 3 minute walk,
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could look at royal west indies or the sands. i like sibonne very much. tiny resort right in the middle of grace bay beach & close enough to walk to dinner. you can taxi to the grocery easily from any of these.
provo is in general quite safe. i'd probably advise you not walk alone after dark.
dec/jan is the most expensive time you can travel in the islands if you plan xmas or new years in your trip. also some resorts may require a minimum 2 wk stay during the holidays. rates go down a bit right after new years.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For sure check out the Sands...excellent mid range resort, I was thinking of a place that would be less than that!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Sands would make an excellent choice. Another good place is the Alexandra Resort. Villa Del Mar is getting good reviews right now too and is having good specials. It's not directly on the beach, but is only said to be about a minute walk away and has beach chairs, etc.
http://www.yourvilladelmar.com/index.html
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How "budget" do you need? Overall, T&C is an expensive place to go--including eating once you're there. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Overall it is a safe island, including no vendors on the beach to bug you, to no major robberies, BUT walking alone at night is not really advised. With this bad economy, there have been petty crimes. While not life-threatening, as a female alone, you really should budget for a car to get around, regardless of what island you decide.(in the Caribbean) T&C offers car rentals for $39 a day, and you'll probably only fill the gas tank once during a week's stay. Crime has increased everywhere, including where I live in the States with the bad economies. On my last visit to T&C, I found more police presence than normal all over, but traveling alone anywhere, especially at night I think you need extra precautions. In April I did travel alone, and nothing happened to me. I've actually traveled around the world alone, so more of a reason to always be aware of your surroundings.

I have been to T&C plenty of times alone--if you go to the more "off the beaten path" islands there, not only are you fine walking around by yourself, but the accomodations are also cheaper. (Grand Turk for example)

You are also traveling the most expensive time of year for any of the islands in the Atlantic/Caribbean. January is the peak season.

You can check out www.VRBO.com for some savings, especially at Ocean Club, RWI and Alexandra.

Sibonne is an excellent value for being on the beach, but they only have 2 units with kitchens, they go fast.

Check out Island Club Townhouses, they are around $900 a week(probably a couple hundred more during peak season), 2 story 2 bedroom, full kitchen, a block from the beach and next to some shopping strips with some restaurants, or Tradewinds Condotel, also a block from the beach, has full kitchens, next to some shopping strips.

Traveling alone regardless of which island you decide, the way the economy is, I highly recommend a car rental or at least budget for taxi at night. GBCR is a good one, and you can get a small car from Avis I think currently for even less. During the day, both suggestions are walking distance to the new IGA Gourmet Supermarket--expect to pay about twice what you would pay for groceries in the States.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
LJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blamona has said it all: T&C at high-season is not cheap. Have you considered teaming up with a pal? all costs except airfare just got cut in half.

Four of us did the Grace Bay Club a while ago, had a blast and it became affordable split 4-ways.