Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Provo- car rental (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/provo-car-rental-517178/)

krb2020 Mar 30th, 2005 04:16 PM

Provo- car rental

We are staying at the sands- 4 adults and 1 baby- we want to rent a car- any suggestions? we are going to attempt malcoms beach. which company should we use?

LindainOhio Mar 31st, 2005 04:24 AM

I have not been to T&C but I have done some research on car rentals. They do have Hertz and Avis at the airport but if you are staying at the Sands, I would take their shuttle to the resort and then have your car delivered to the resort.
We have 4 adults and I had a subcompact(Daihatsu Cuore)reserved through Avis for $210 for 6 days---figured we would have to send a couple of us to our cottage in a taxi.
I have since reserved an intermediate car through Provo Rent a Car for a total cost of $255 inc. taxes.
The Sands does offer a shuttle service however, so you may just want to rent a car for a couple of days. If you want to go to Malcolms Beach, I read that you will want a 4 wheel drive or a jeep.
The local rent a car companies are somewhat cheaper. Others that were recommended to me were:
Preferred Car Rental and Tropical Auto Rentals.

virginia Mar 31st, 2005 05:05 AM

have rented from scooter bob - they are in turtle cove marina. also from provo fun cycle at ports of call mall. both were fine.
you definetly need 4x4 for malcolm road beach. and even then unless you are an experienced jeeper you may choose at certain spot in the road to give up. i am an experienced jeeper and did give up but i was driving with a girlfriend and we had no jack....
it is possible to have a dive/snorkel boat take you there and leave you for a couple hours.
i would not take the baby to malcolm beach. NO shade. and its a long hot drive out there. if you go take alot of water.

meta Mar 31st, 2005 09:05 AM

We used Hertz and they were great. We had a small SUV, which was new and in very good condition. They picked us up at OCW and brought us back to their office. Upon return of the vehicle, my husband drove to their office and they brought him back promptly to OCW.

I agree with Virginia. Malcolm's Beach is not a place for small children. It is very difficult to get there and the road (if you can call it that) is in bad condition. If you break down, there is nothing around.

Traveler863 Apr 1st, 2005 04:29 PM

krb2020,
We rented through Budget at the airport, had a van for big group but did opt to do the Malcoms beach excursion one day and also rented jeeps through Scooter Bob at the Marina. Both were fine. Best thing for you to do is just enquire around for best rates and go with that....you do need 4wd for Malcoms but you don't need it for anything else on Provo.

I really don't understand what Virginia's cautious tones are all about. There is one difficult spot on the road about midway out, which is pretty much a very vertical about only 8-10' section, just make sure you have it in 4wd and rush it...if you stop in the process then its more difficult, well you know the routine. I'm not a jeeper, only rent on vacation, normally drive a reg car suited only for roads so what do I know!

There are no facilities out there so pack whatever you need for however long you plan to stay. Its really not that far out even if you broke down, Provo isn't that big! There's also other daytrippers just like you so unlikely you'll be all alone! Great trek, definitely do it even with baby but just plan accordiningly.