Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Providenciales Airport on Saturdays (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/providenciales-airport-on-saturdays-968366/)

susieQ122 Feb 26th, 2013 10:40 AM

Providenciales Airport on Saturdays

Quite a few people are advising us against flying out of Providenciales Airport on a Saturday if possible, as it is supposedly a real mess. Last year, we flew home on a Friday and it was fine, but know people who flew out othe next day (Saturday) and said it was a real nightmare. We are going again this year, and before I book the flight, am wondering if anyone can shed any light on flying OUT of Provo on Friday or Sunday vs. Saturday? I've heard the Saturday thing more than once. Any info?

blamona Feb 26th, 2013 10:57 AM

While Provo is worth going regardless of what you go through at the airport, I would avoid Saturdays if possible.

It's pretty bad.

Huge difference Friday and Sunday, even better on weekdays.

Unless you're flying 8:30AM flight on Sat., that one is okay.

Caribzack Feb 26th, 2013 11:33 AM

There are many flights leaving everyday between 10am and 4pm...the reason Saturday is so crazy is a lot of people travel Saturday-Saturday esp. Beaches customers ( huge resort )

susieQ122 Feb 26th, 2013 01:05 PM

Also, I should have mentioned that we are going the last week in May and will arrive on a Saturday or Sunday and leave on a Saturday or Sunday.

susieQ122 Feb 26th, 2013 01:07 PM

Yes, I know of Beaches. We are torn between an oceanfront studio on a Sat to Sat (which I would LOVE) and an oceanview studio on a Sun to Sun. Guess it's a trade off for ambience vs. aggravation...

blamona Feb 26th, 2013 01:25 PM

There are plenty of rentals that offer flexible dates.

I would land on a Saturday and leave on a Sunday.

susieQ122 Feb 26th, 2013 03:58 PM

Exactly what I wanted to do, but the oceanfront rental is thru VRBO and they will only do Sat to Sat. The Oceanview will do Sunday to Sunday.

Weadles Feb 26th, 2013 05:39 PM

I would avoid Saturday departure even though it means giving up your oceanfront studio. It's a nightmare.

The only other option is a paid service offered through the VIP Flyers Club at the airport which offers curbside pickup, then fast tracks you through all lines to a private air-conditioned "club" at the back of the airport terminal. It's expensive. First traveler runs about $200. Any additional person traveling with your family runs about $50. We bought this service for my elderly MIL and her caretaker in January.

You can also opt just for their fast track service which speeds you through the lines for about $40/person. But you'd still have to deal with overcrowding in the main terminal.

susieQ122 Mar 1st, 2013 04:09 PM

Thank you all for your good advice. Even though I am disappointed to not have oceanfront, why ruin a great vacation by dealing with the nightmare airport scene on Saturday, so Sunday to Sunday ocean 'view' it is! And I can't wait!

Weadles Mar 2nd, 2013 11:22 AM

Good choice on your part. The first time we went to Turks ( two years ago), we were in a departure line that snaked outside the terminal for almost two hours. Then we got inside and waited on more lines for food. It really was a bad way to end what had been a perfect vacation.