Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Privacy on Anguilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/privacy-on-anguilla-313646/)

adkviews May 5th, 2003 05:04 AM

Privacy on Anguilla

My fiance and I are researching Anguilla. We prefer lovely beaches, great food, moderate prices, relaxed atmosphere,and privacy.Large hotels with 30 people around the pool do not appeal to us. Also, we are uncomfortable with topless sunbathing. Any recommendations?
Thank you!
Kathy

HowardC May 5th, 2003 05:57 AM

I would definitely look into Frangipani Beach resort--wwwfrangipani.ai. It is very small, quiet and intimate. Only 6 condo type units. Meads Bay Beach is onr of the nicest on Anguilla. They have an off season Sun, Sea and Sand package for about $1600 plus tax. You get a condo suite with living/dining area, kitchen. bedroom with king size bed, 1 1/2 or two baths depending on the suite and a daily continental breakfast. There is an on site restaurant, lovely pool and tennis court. We have stayed there 13 times and really like it. I have a detailed review on another site. If you e-mail me I will provide it to [email protected]. PS since Anguilla was/is British topless sunbathing is against the law so you don't see much if any.

Caribgirl May 5th, 2003 07:07 AM

Other good bets include
La Sirena, which while not directly on the beach you have to walk through the garden, is moderatley priced, good restaurant, etc. Check out their new junior suites.
Shoal Bay Beach Resort or Shoal Bay Villas are both directly on the beach, altho might get a little crowded on Sunday afternoons.
I've also heard good things about Rendezvous Bay Hotel on yet another fabulous beach.

Have you looked up www.news.ai? that might help. Anguilla does not have large hotels with crowds of people, so it seems as though you've picked the right island. and it is possible to "do' Anguilla moderately as I'm sure people like HowardC and MaryD, frequent posters can tell you.

adkviews May 5th, 2003 08:47 AM

Thank you!I have emailed La Sirena, and will check out your other recommendations. And yes, just this morning I found www.news.ai

rwilliams May 5th, 2003 10:13 AM

30 people around the pool?
Not in Anguilla.
No point in sitting around the pool when virtually all hotels are only steps from the Caribbean's best beaches and clearest water.

SusanLynne May 5th, 2003 03:56 PM

We stayed at the Carimar Beach Club and absolutely loved it. Units are beautifully appointed. It is directly on Meads Bay, just a few steps down the beach from Frang. Unless something has changed since we were there, La Sirena is not directly on the beach. It's about a three or four minute walk to the sand. FYI. Again, check out the Carimar Beach Club. I don't think the website does justice to the place, but it will give you an idea of rates, etc. We found Shoal Bay is much more crowded than Meads Bay. Good luck with your search.

MaryD May 5th, 2003 04:32 PM

I think you got the two best recommendations: Frangipani & Carimar. Both are small, lovely & on one of the world's greatest beaches. Frangi has a pool, bar & restaurant & the units have kitchens. Both are a short hop to some really great restaurants & you can always spend the day on Shoal Bay (great snorkeling & very good food & bars). I'm sure you've checked out the hotel link at the top of news.ai as it lists all the resorts by price, with websites. The other great, uncrowded beach on Anguilla is Rendezvous -- you may want to give Rendezvous Bay Hotel a look. BTW, a car is only $215/week in Anguilla.