Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   President's week beach vacation for couples (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/presidents-week-beach-vacation-for-couples-994576/)

kathy61 Oct 9th, 2013 01:03 PM

President's week beach vacation for couples

I work in a school and am bound by the school calendar- would love a great beach vacation president's week somewhere in the Caribbean. Love beautiful beaches, relaxed dining, scenery, walking,local culture. Want to avoid huge crowds. Would appreciate any suggestions

eastenderusvi Oct 9th, 2013 01:18 PM

kathy: President's weekend is a federal holiday at the peak of high season. Lots and lots of folks travel to the Caribbean then, so most places will be crowded.

KVR Oct 9th, 2013 02:14 PM

I would suggest concentrating on resorts that are adults only or caters to adults. Otherwise, you will be inundated with kids. All inclusive resorts would be a good option, but for that time period all options will be pricey. What is your budget?

RoamsAround Oct 9th, 2013 05:45 PM

Agree, it's almost impossible to avoid crowds during President's Week unless you are willing to go to one of the very high end luxury resort.

We need more info from you in order to help narrow down your options as every island has local culture, relaxing dining, scenery, places you can walk/hike and beautiful beaches (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it would help if you described what 'beautiful" means to you).

Tell us too, where you are traveling from and if you are willing to take one or more connecting flights and/or ferries to reach your destination or do you want only islands you can reach non-stop from your nearest international gateway airport.

What type of activities interest you and your partner?

What's your budget for airfare, accommodations, food and activities? Please give a dollar range - don't use meaningless terms like "affordable", "won't break the bank", etc. as they mean different things to different people.

kathy61 Oct 13th, 2013 07:45 AM

Thank you for the input. Budget wise, I would say $400-500 a day. Love mild surf, clear water, snorkeling. Nature walks. We would be flying from New York City. Not really worried about dining, as we get plenty of that at home.

RoamsAround Oct 13th, 2013 09:55 AM

Look at St. John (USVI's) or Virgin Gorda (BVI's) - both will give you calm clear waters, very good to excellent snorkeling, plenty of hiking (2/3's of St. John is a National Park)) and a variety of restaurants for your dining pleasure.

During President's Week you'll probably be able to find accommodations at the higher end of your budget range on both islands but they won't be at any of the higher end resorts.

Two other islands with good snorkeling are Grand Cayman and Providenciales (in the Turks & Caicos) but again you'll be look at mid-range accommodations even at the top end of your budget if you go during president's week. These islands are flat and arid so they won't have the same hiking/nature walks that you'll find on the hillier islands.

kathy61 Oct 14th, 2013 05:05 AM

thanks, I will look into virgin gorda-and st. JOhn, like the hiking, sounds really great. Now, If I can find a hotel!
Kathy

WWK Oct 15th, 2013 04:25 PM

On St. John, cross The Westin off your list! It's on a bay, and the water can be dirty because it's also a boat landing. We were very disappointed. Also it's an expensive taxi ride into town. Try to find someplace better to stay!