Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   post surgery need relaxation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/post-surgery-need-relaxation-926043/)

pgoclac1234 Mar 1st, 2012 03:06 PM

post surgery need relaxation

Hi all
Looking for a special place to spend time as a couple post surgery. Can anyone suggest an all inclusive where we can just lie on the beach, enjoy the views and each other with a drink in my hand. I have explored some AI that get the best ratings but it looks like they are mostly in Mexico. I would not mind that otherwise but with compromised immunity after stem cell transplant - am cautious. I am hoping that this would not be an issue in some of the carribean.

qwovadis Mar 2nd, 2012 02:30 AM

jamaica.bookit.com Couples.com Swept Away super nice.

blamona Mar 2nd, 2012 02:47 AM

Try Veranda in Turks and Caicos for the following reasons:

Easy to get to on big planes. (do you really want puddle jumpers after surgery?)

Worlds best beach with hypnotizing turquoise water (prettiest anywhere)

No vendors on the beach, truly relaxing

Flat island, easier to get around after surgery

Dry island, better chance of sunny days

Veranda because:

Upscale, top self drinks

suze Mar 2nd, 2012 05:43 PM

I have zero medical experience but I'm not sure <compromised immunity> is any better off on a Caribbean island then an AI on the Mayan Riviera in Mexico???

cmcfong Mar 3rd, 2012 03:42 AM

Bermuda does not have an AI's, however you can get full meal plans. I recommend a visit there between April and October for beach weather. If you choose Bermuda, Tucker's Point, Cambridge Beaches, and Pink Beach would all be places where lying on the beach with a drink in your hand would be an option.

Good luck with the surgery.

sharona Mar 3rd, 2012 08:26 AM

If you want AI I can recommend Iberostar Rose Hall Grand in Jamaica. We had a great experience there and would return without hesitation. Very good food, excellent service, lovely property.

We've been to 4 upscale places in Mexico in the last few years and each time we come home a bit sick even though we are always careful and even though we travel out of the country at least twice a year. Our immune systems should be able to handle Mexico after all this time of foreign travel but so far that hasn't been the case with Mexico. Please realize that this was my experience. I'm not trying to start a war of Caribbean v. Mexico. But with a compromised immune system I think you are wise to be cautious. I was only sick in the Caribbean once and I think it was bad seafood.

suze Mar 3rd, 2012 09:48 AM

I would consider staying in the US with compromised immunity. I am not convinced personally that the Caribbean islands are all that different from Mexico.

Would you consider Florida or California or maybe somewhere in the desert like Palm Springs? Could get you the relaxation and sun you're seeking without the risks of leaving the country.

pgoclac1234 Mar 3rd, 2012 04:27 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am looking into each one of them....

fbyrne9042 May 2nd, 2012 07:24 AM

For what it's worth-- My wife donated a kidney and I received one (not hers!) a few months ago, and the MDs have no objection to us going to Bermuda, as long as I continue to take the anti-rejection medication.

Good luck, wherever you end up going!

KVR May 2nd, 2012 01:03 PM

I am a Nurse and I have to agree that staying in the US would be a better suggestion. Especially if you have any kind of complications and need emergency medical attention. I wouldn't want to have to depend on limited medical facilities and language barriers in Mexico or the Caribbean.

What does your Doctor say?

I would agree with the Veranda in T & C if you have the budget for it as it is very pricey and your Doctor says leaving the country is OK, but think about the worse case scenerios and what you would do to be on the safe side.

I can add that when DH was on chemotheraphy and had a port in his chest his Doctor allowed us to go to St. Lucia and we didn't have any problems, but we bought the extended travel insurance with the medical rider to be on the safe side.