Port Antonio Jamaica Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone ! Arrived home this A.M. early , suitcases can wait , I am not ready to face them ! Myself , husband and 2 children ages 5 and 8 are back from 2 weeks in Port Antonio Jamaica , loved it ! I went to Jamaica not sure what to find , I went through different stages of travel jitters and at one point even tried to cancel the trip . It was through the help of this site and certain people that I was able to keep things in perspective , and said , yes we are going . I am so glad we did . So a big thank -you people ! Almost 2 weeks ago we land in Kingston , beautiful warm air greets us as well as a super driver from Derrons , named James . Luggage is loaded and we start the 2.5 hour coast road drive from the Kingston airport to Port Antonio . Huge hills back the city which from the airport is across the harbour some distance away . I was ready for a hair raising drive trying to sit on my kids for lack of seatbelts , grand canyon sized potholes , masses of higglers at every stop , but this was not the case . Everyone had a seatbelt , roads definitely had big potholes , but nothing to fall into ! The drive was uneventful except for the great beauty of the landscape . As we left Kingston behind we noticed the change in vegetation , the hills remained but became covered in dense tropical foilage the closer we came to Portland . All along the winding road you catch glimpses of the amazing water . We cant wait to reach Portie ! When I say tropical foilage , I mean incredibly lush , vegetation gone amok !! Incredible ! Closer to Port antonio you pass the beautiful Long Bay , Boston Beach , Reach Falls area (now closed as the sandals dude who bought Dragon Bay tries to turn the falls into dunns river ). We arrive on ash wed. so it is a big party , people in the streets , music coming from monster speakers , everyone happy , FUN ! Finally we reach San San on the outskirts of Port Antonio and drive up the little driveway to Goblin Hill Villas , it is much prettier than in the photos and again this incredible vegetation , so lush and beautiful. I have been 2 to the Costa rican rainforest and this appeared everybit as lush . Towering palms covered with tarzan like vines just dripping and trailing everywhere . The reception area is very nice with a beautiful games room and reading area , flowers are everywhere ! The grounds are very well kept , the pool area is surrounded by a vine laced arbor , and everyone is friendly . The 2 bedroom villa is awesome , incredibly clean , the fresh white bed covered in red flowers , bouquets of them everywhere ! The view to San San beach just below is amazing , but first our meal is ready , prepared by Joan , our housekeeper and cook for our stay . The food was awesome ! She takes care of everything , I try to squeeze in to wash up and help , not used to such pampering but she is even more insistent and I back off . If you go ask for Joan and you will not be sorry ! The hotel was built in the 70 's , but is well kept and very clean , it is very charming and has lots of character . Something of an old estate feel to it . Walk down the great lawn to the lookout and Monkey Island is a stones throw away , sway in the hammock and tilt your head in the other direction and san san awaitsyo
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Can't wait to hear all aobut it Faith!!

Now this is making me cry: "Reach Falls area (now closed as the sandals dude who bought Dragon Bay tries to turn the falls into dunns river). "

Is it true? Reach is closed? To be developed?

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry ..... What did I do ! Anyway , or you could do as I did only hours after arrival and walk straight into the tree holding the hammock , nearly knock yourself out , see stars , cut your eye (no stitches )and try to explain your black eye for the next 13 days !!! Or , forgo the moving tree and use the long stairs winding through the jungle , take a short walk along the road (adults 5 min. with kids 10 min. max )From stairs . This is San San , not included with Goblin Hill now , kids were free and we were about 5 U.S. each . Beautiful beach ,normally calm and great for swimming and snorkelling with 2 reefs to swim to . My 5 yr. old did it , thrilled to have seen Nemo !! Keep in mind while in Port Antonio if you are expecting miles and miles of perfect pristine beaches , loads of nightlife , polished big resorts , lots of action , this is Not the place . If you go wanting to see a tropical setting , lush hillsides dotted with white cedar shingled villas , tiny cove beaches and the feeling that somehow you have discovered something special then this may be that place . Port Antonio has history , a glamorous past with the villas and stories to go with it . The whole area has an air of faded splendor , the cab drivers name drop ; senator Molsons villa , the countess , Princess Nina Aga Khan , Errol Flyns wife still lives there , our rio grande captain tells us about taking Ivana Trump on the river , wishing for the busy days to return . I feel a bit guilty but am glad it is quieter , I do not need to be a princess or a star to stay here now . But I can reap the benefits and look at these amazing places and actually stay in some of them !! The Goblin Hill Villas now use Frenchmans Cove Beach (yet another story including kings , queens, stars , scandal !!! etc. etc. This beach is free with Goblin and also has a free shuttle if you do not feel like walking . This I will continue in a bit... Faith
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Welcome back Faith! I'm so happy to hear that you had a good time. I've been looking forward to your report. It's very sad to hear about Reach falls though...

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh, Faith, welcome back! I just posted a topic yesterday asking if you had returned! Yahooooooo! Say it ain't so about Reich Falls! Waiting for the rest of the report...don't leave a single detail out!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Hi Faith. I am so glad you enjoyed yout trip and especially glad you found it to be as many if us said it would be. 1 vote for the Jamaica lovers! Larry.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

So ... Frenchmans Cove Beach is like a little jewel , the walk from the main building by the road is not far and you will not notice because the vegetation here is incredible . The road follows a fresh water river the color of ... almost impossible to describe , a blue green crayon sort of color ! Finally you see the beach , a small but wide beach with the river which empties into the sea at one side . The ocean our first day was calm , clear and perfect , take a dip in the river , no maybe the ocean , swing from a vine into the river , or float calmly on your back and take in this exotic place . It is amazing ! Staff serves huge reasonably priced portions of chicken or fish with little white wooden tables covered in table cloths , carried over to where you sit . Extremely polite and friendly . If the wind picks up this is a great spot for bodysurfing ! Again , the foilage will amaze you , did I say that !!! We loved to walk , I mean who does not like to carry 2 kids and 2 backpacks after a day at the beach .... Joking , it really was nice , no rush , stopping to chat with locals , again everyone friendly , no hassles at all , did not feel like I needed to be constantly on guard etc. One day we walked up the road to Fern Hill which has its entry opposite Frenchmans , the road is steep but quiet and beautiful and finally we reach the villas . THey are very nice , perched on top of the hillside with amazing views . It is a slightly farther walk from the beaches than Goblin Hill , but if you are not with children it is not an issue , if you have a car better yet . We did do the walk a few times with the kids and it is possible . The facility looked well kept , clean , villas range from , 77.00 rooms , 99.00 suites to 154.00 , 1 bedroom villas and some 2 bedroom villas as well . Very beautiful setting , view from the restaurant is outstanding !Mocking Bird Hill And THe Rio Vista Villas are 2 other great choices , although better with a car as walking to beaches is a bit more work . The Blue Lagoon Is another area to see , peeking through fences at the amazing villas . You might get approached by Danny wishing to take you on a tour to Monkey Island , nice man . He leaves you on the island which has a tiny perfect beach , you can snorkel , see Nemo , or play Gilligan ! He will pick you up at a set time . He did have life vests and to get to the island it is inside the reef so water is calm , we did it twice . No , I was not arrested for peeking through fences at private villas !!! Kid break ! More soon !!! Faith
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

The Blue Lagoon is beautiful , a must for a cool dip , and a little exciting and scary knowing how deep it is , take a walk to the back by the mineral springs and creep up old stone steps to see the 2 little villas where Robin Moore wrote The French Connection and Green Beret . The food is great and you can use the small entry fee towards your meal , all finger food ! You can see slightly the top of one of the Dragon Bay Villas from here , the man who purchased it still saying it is to be opened as a spa sandals but nothing seems to happen . While we were there Fox was using it and have polished it up a bit for the new reality series Forever Eden or Beyond Eden, which aired last week . From the makers of Paradise Hotel . I am sure you all watched it , but I actually will try just to see Dragon Bay . Crew is at Jamaica Palace , and of course locals are excited and hopeful the glory days will return with the exposure , no pun intended . This is the same guy who has bought the falls , one guest at Goblin did go , but our driver said not to . Sometimes you can get in sometimes no . Worth a try perhaps ... We did do the Rio Grande and loved it , expensive for us since we needed 2 rafts but worth it ! Stop for lunch at Bettys and take a swim , and wear a hat and lots of sunscreen ! Our raft captain was Keith , you can usually find him around the new marina . Cool guy , full of stories , started in 1967 , HE has great Portie stories , Keith is the man for the Rio Grande . YOu truly get an idea of what it used to be like , the days when they would take hundreds of tourists down the river from the cruise ships . He said there were hundreds of captains and he could do 3 runs a day , now he might do 1 a week . You understand there wish to have Dragon Bay open as a sandals and the cruise ships to return , they believe it will be as before .... But the charm of Portie is sort of the ghost of its past !!! Anyway Keith will tell you ! And would love if someone would prove me wrong for the falls , if you go still try to get in !! The town itself is charming in a ramshackle sort of way , neat buildings , friendly people , yummy food , made excuses to go in and do the grocery shopping for ourselves ! With the kids we found we did not do as much as we would have if we were alone , we did a little local exploring ,lots of beach and snorkeling , lots of good conversations with locals , and generally soaking the laid back feast for your eyes natural beauty that is Portland . A great conversation would be with Fitz Robertson the beach manager in the little booth a t San San , amazing guy . Perhaps Port Antonio would not be for everyone but it certainly was for us , I was not at all disappointed , anything but . We will return , and I loved the people I met , Enjoyed the Jamaica vibe , and have caught the bug !!! so again thank - you to those who encouraged me to go , it really helped , what this site is for . I loved the Jamaica I saw ! Faith
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Wonderful report Faith!! I've sent a friend over here to read your report as they are visiting Portland for the first time, they've done Negril and Treasure Beach a few times.

I hate reality shows but I found my self in front of hte tv last week and saw Forever Eden. I kept watching because the little island looked familiar...I thought it was San San villas but Dragon Bay, OK - that makes sense! I'll have to watch it again now
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Liza , Also keep your eyes peeled for the lookout from Goblin Hill , The Blue Marlin Villa on the Blue Lagoon , The Blue Lagoon itself , and a few other Portie locations will be seen . The bamboo raft is the raft at the entry to the lagoon , and they used Lady G Diver for water shots !!! I have yet to watch it but I will try !!! Smiles , Faith .
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Very nice report Faith. Uh, Oh...be very careful as Jamaicaitis is about to set in!
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Forgot , just a tip for Monkey Island and snorkeling . They will tell you that the best place to snorkel is next to the island for which you use a little boat to get to . Do so just to go to the little island because it is very beautiful and a bit of an adventure , snorkeling is good ! But just for snorkeling there is a better reef you can just swim to from San San . Watch out for sea urchins on Monkey island if it is rough outside the reef , they migrate in for protection , ouch , got the last spine out today ! The boat ride is also less expensive from san san than from the blue lagoon . Faith
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM

TTT for "Wanderlust".
wow, kids r now 11 & 13.
We're off to St Lucia on Friday, yippee!!!!!
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM

BTW. I "was" Willem, new moniker with new computer...