Do spring breakers come there?
Web sights?
Hotels at $80 or less in hi season?
Can you snorkel from shore?
Thanks dan and ginny

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Anon

Dan and Ginny,

Never been there myself, but I have been looking into it for a future vacation. It is not a touristy area like MoBay or Negril. Most people who visit there are looking for a true taste of Jamaica.
Check out the following websites:
www.go-jam.com (Port Antonio)
www.negril.com ( link at the bottom of the page for info on Port Antonio).

You may also want to check out Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree message board. There is a poster named "Weaver" who knows a lot about this area. She lives in the area every winter at the Ivanhoe Guesthouse (876-993-3040). Most accommodations in the area are cheap and simple. Good Luck.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Judy

Port Antonio is definitely the best place in Jamaica because it has everything...beautiful beaches, Lagoons, Waterfalls, river rafting on the Rio Grande without all the huge amounts of tourists.
We stayed at the Bonneview Plantation, which is up on the hill overlooking the twin harbor and Navy Island. I think we paid $50/night in 1989, we went there for one week of our honeymoon, the other week we went to Negril.
We just used taxis and arranged for them to be our driver for the day when we wanted to go do a few things(Boston Beach, Reach Falls(where Cocktail was filmed), Blue Lagoon, etc.
I still think Port Antonio has lots to do and we will definitely go there again some day! Right now Air Jamaica has a lot of great deals for 30% off usual prices!
Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 07:39 PM
d motl

Thanks for the replies. Want to try to stary within 3 blocks of the beach and also be close to the "downtown". Checked the web sights and most places appear to be in the country and possible isolated from walking distance of stores and eateries. Hoping someone else can help with ideas dan & ginny

Old May 19th, 2001, 05:41 AM
tiverton house

see moonsan villa on www.jamaicaescapes.com

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Alix

Port Antonio is one of my favorite places, it is a real town and does not cater to the average tourist who is scared to venture beyond the walls of their all-inclusive. I first went there 4 years ago and have been lured back every year since. My favorite places to stay in town are the little guest houses on Tichtfield hill where you can stay for as cheap as $25 a night. Ivanhoe is nice, Mrs.Burke will give you a nice clean room and you can even have a meal cooked for you. The last couple of years my mother and I have stayed at Mrs. Browns cache where there is even a small kitchen to cook in. Here you I have met some fun Germans, Italians and Canadians. I go out dancing at the clubs and eat at some locals houses, we buy the food and they cook and it feeds their entire family and my friends. This is an amazing place to visit, there is so much to see and it is one of the more friendly parts of the island. It is not for the scared tourist who is afraid to go out at night but for the more adventurous.