Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Poll: What is everyone's favorite island... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/poll-what-is-everyones-favorite-island-328614/)

Divegirl Jun 18th, 2003 06:52 AM

Poll: What is everyone's favorite island...

and why?

JMM Jun 18th, 2003 07:40 AM

Provo in the Turks and Caicos - best beach and clearest most beautiful water,good off the beach snorkeling, friendly people

Love2Travel Jun 18th, 2003 07:17 PM

Ditto everything JMM said. Provo wins for the most beautiful beaches. Simply gorgeous!

ParrotMom Jun 19th, 2003 05:53 AM

Although it's not in the Caribbean..Bermuda...beautiful beaches, easy to get around and the people are wonderful...they actually welcome tourists.

JJDave Jun 19th, 2003 08:36 AM

I have to agree with Provo. Grace Bay certainly is one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. I would also have to suggest Grenada. Grande Anse beach is wonderful. Grendadians must be some of the friendliest islanders I have ever met. Third, I would say Cane Garden Bay on Tortola in the BVI.

cynthiatsb Jun 19th, 2003 04:52 PM

Abaco island in the Bahamas. The beaches are absolutely beautiful and there is peace and quiet there.

Angela Jun 20th, 2003 06:50 AM

Definitely Bermuda. Such a pretty island, lovely people, great restaurants, lovely secluded beaches. I could go on.......!!

Angela

Knowing Jun 20th, 2003 09:11 AM

Curacao. Even though it's a little further to go, it overlooks a picturesque harbour. Shopping, restaurants, and nightlife are all good. Very friendly people.

LissaJ Jun 20th, 2003 12:54 PM

Deffinatly not in the Caribbean but most deffinatly an island: Cape Breton Island, quite possibly the most beautiful scenery ever!!!

Rusty Jun 28th, 2003 07:45 AM

Where is Cape Breton Island ?

liza Jun 28th, 2003 08:18 AM

Jamaica. After visiting 3-4 other Caribbean islands, this is the one we choose to return to over and over.

Why? It's big enough that we can do completely different things each time, explore new areas. It has beautiful beaches and if you avoid the "big 3" resort towns, they're usually near deserted. It has thousands of rivers and waterfalls and two large mountain ranges. There is lush rainforest and African-like desert plains with cactus. I really enjoy the people there (except the hustlers that frequent the tourist towns).

It has tourist amenities if you want htem, but it's very easy to get away from that and relax in a a natural setting iwth people who have nothing to do with tourism for a living.

All the villas, pretty much, come with a full staff which is unusual in the Caribbean. There's something for everyone accomodation-wise - $20 a night cabins to $1000's a night resorts/boutique hotels and everything in between.

It has a lot of historical sites, old churches, towns, forts. Coffee plantations, small veggie farms.

Eco-tourism is beginning to get popular, espeically on the east coast, when we were there recently there were a number of hiking/waterfall/caving combination tours in the area.

Overall I guess I just like the variety....we've been there 10-11 times now and there's still so much more to see.

caribtraveler Jun 28th, 2003 08:31 AM

I've done Martinique, Guadeloupe, Haiti, St. Lucia, Aruba and St. John so far. St. John is first in my book by a long shot. Why? I go to the Caribbean for the water/beaches...St. John tops the others.
I think we'll do Turks & Caicos next year..I wanna see what everyone is raving about!

LissaJ Jun 28th, 2003 10:48 AM

Cape Breton Island is in Nova Scotia Canada

BigBadTea Jun 28th, 2003 01:17 PM

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...affordable enough so I can go once a month...Beautiful beaches. Everything there is all I need.

Pulley Jun 28th, 2003 03:58 PM

I have to agree with caribtraveler. St. John has beautiful AND uncrowded beaches with great snorkeling right off the beach. Lush landscape with great hiking trails, friendly people and great beaches and snorkeling. We are going to Turks & Caicos (Provo) in early 2004 and I can't wait to compare.