Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   point grace, t & c club or grace bay club? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/point-grace-t-and-c-club-or-grace-bay-club-508063/)

spierotti Feb 28th, 2005 07:08 PM

point grace, t & c club or grace bay club?

First time to T & C with my family of four. They all seem nice and about the same price. We want to totally relax and snorkel with the kids ( 15/11 yo) . What place is the best? What about construction? Thanks

lowrancs Mar 2nd, 2005 12:11 PM

I can't comment on anything but Grace Bay Club, where I stayed for part of my honeymoon. It's a nice resort, but I thought the property and pool were smaller than they looked in the pictures. The rooms are nice and big, with a kitchen and living area, so it would be good for a family. It's on a fairly busy stretch of the beach, so your children would have access to water sports that GBC doesn't offer. The restaurant there is wonderful, but very expensive, although you could always try some other restaurants on the island as well. It's been about 5 years since I was there, so I don't know what kind of construction they have going on now.

eileen Mar 2nd, 2005 01:19 PM

I don't think Grace Bay Club takes children under 16??? I don't think either Pt Grace or GBC is right for families (I have stayed at Pt. Grace, it was all couples wanting peace and quiet) and GBC is very small. Can't comment on T & C Club. I recommend The Sands for families, right next door to Pt. Grace. That's where I would stay with my kids.

blamona Mar 2nd, 2005 02:35 PM

The Sands is great, also Coral Gardens the kids can snorkel right off the beach. Although your picks are beautiful properties, your kids will be bored, as too they cater to mostly adults.

meta Mar 4th, 2005 04:41 AM

I agree. The best places to stay with kids are Ocean Club West, Ocean Club, Sands or Coral Gardens.

TG Mar 4th, 2005 12:42 PM

My family has stayed at Ocean Club West (2003) and The Sands (2004). Both are very nice properties but we much preferred The Sands. We enjoyed the atmosphere there more, the free use of ocean kayaks, hobie cats, snorkeling gear and beach toys is a plus. Also, it is closer to the reef at Coral Gardens.
If we were to go back we'd chose The Sands. Good luck and enjoy.

bubbs Mar 11th, 2005 06:19 PM

My husband and I stayed at the T&C Club last June. The rooms are nice - are actually small apartments with full kitchen and small washer and dryer.

T&C Club restaurants are so-so. Not anything spectacular. We dined off the resort every night but once.

There is absolutely NO service on the beach which disappointed us at first, but we made do (this was our anniversary trip - previous years had been to Jumby Bay & Cap Juluca so we were expecting first class service). The hotel is so close to the beach that you can just run back to your room and grab refreshments. (Our 2nd day we went to the IGA and got breakfast, lunch, and beverage supplies!)

The beach umbrellas sucked --there were only about 5 (the beach is not crowded so normally not a problem) but one day when they were all taken we called to ask that more be brought out and no one came.

All that being said, the beach is beautiful and uncrowded We snorkeled every day right from the hotel beach(probably should bring your own snorkel gear as they don't have too many available). We were both swimmers and brought goggles which worked just fine. We saw all sorts of fish and even a couple of sea turtles. There is a coral reef right next door at coral gables - within swimming or walking distance. (Great restaurant at Coral Gables by the way - a little pricy, but good).

T&C is a very relaxing spot. My husband and I took walks each morning. To the left of the resort is pretty desolate as it is residential. To the right gets crowded as you walk towards all of the more populated and larger resorts and condo complexes. We were appalled to walk by the Beaches Resort which seemed to have hundreds of people vying for beach space while many times my husband and I were one of two couples outside of the T&C Club!!!

Although we enjoyed our stay at T&C Club, I think the prices are a bit high for the lack of service there (unless they have improved over the last year). It was a new resort that definitely needed to iron out some kinks!

Fran1010 Mar 12th, 2005 03:24 AM

We just returned from staying at the Turks and Caicos Club (last summer) and now at the end of February. There are have been very good changes to the resort (which we already enjoyed) like new furniture around the pool and better service. The suites are very spacious and comfortable. Simba is consistently good, and we give this place a thumbs up for its still quiet location and great beach.

Athena39 Mar 12th, 2005 04:13 AM

Stayed at The Sands last summer with our teenage grandchildren. They loved it, we loved it. We had a two-bedroom condo, which was perfect in every way. This is one of the nicest places we've ever been. I can't say the same about Provo, though. Except for the beach at Grace Bay, there's not much to receommend it. It's just one big construction zone, where rich people are building their tax shelter second and third and fourth homes. I second what everyone has said about Grace Bay Club and Point Grace. Not for children (although PG accepts children, it is very quiet).

Luisa Apr 28th, 2005 11:54 AM

Fran1010,

I also stayed at T & C Club June 2004 and would love to go back.
What kind of furniture is now around the pool? The chairs that were there when we were there were nice to look at but pretty uncomfortable. What other stuff have they done as far as changed go. Look forward to your response or email me at [email protected]
thanks

massachusetts_mom Apr 29th, 2005 05:52 AM

TG -- what kind of "beach toys" are you referring to? We were going to bring our own mats/rings to float in the water on....does the Sands have those available?

TG Apr 29th, 2005 03:29 PM

Beach toys as in pails, shovels, the stuff to make sand castles with -- something my kids ALWAYS enjoy at the beach!
We always bring our own blow up floats -- they are cheap -- and leave them there.
They have snorkeling gear and may have some floatation stuff left there by guests like us.
Hope this helps.

Fran1010 May 5th, 2005 05:11 PM

There is new teak wood lounge beds by the pool. Full breakfast is now included in the rates. We're definitely looking forward to our next trip to the Turks and Caicos Club.