Planning a vacation for a month

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a vacation for a month

Hello,
My husband and I are going to be able to take a month vacation in March 2010. Currently we rarely get a weekend off let a lone a month so this is a big event for us. We have been married for over 30 years as well. We are looking for a destination where we can relax , swim, walk, snorkel, hike, dance, listen to music, enjoying fun restaurants and bars (some times) and then other times just read and have quiet time. I know we want it all. We have spent time in Puerto Rico (work related) and I have spent just 4 days in St. John, but my husband has never been there. We are willing to rent a house/condo and am not sure whether to stay the whole time on one island or split the time between two or several. What would you recommend? We would love to hear your favorite vacation destinations.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM

Why don't you consider chartering a "crewed sailboat" and spend your month sailing around the US and British Virgin Islands. The cost will be similar to most AI's (since all your meals and drinks will be included). You can travel around at your own pace and with the amount of time you have you'll be able to explore almost every inch of these islands. The crew (Captain and chef) will tend to all your needs - you can spend your time being as active or passive as you want. During the day you can swim, snorkel or hike to your heart's content and in the evenings you can watch beautiful sunsets while sipping cocktails on yor boat before going off to some local beach bar for music and fun. Of course, if you are tired out from all your day's activities you can stay on board and just enjoy a quiet evening under the stars.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM

hi atlast, welcome to fodors. you have a problem most of us who write here regularly would kill to have.
my vacations have been 2 wks or more. i've been to usvi, bvi, grand cayman, mexico & provo in turks & caicos. all small islands (except obviously mex) and i've always wanted to stay longer. with a month i might try 2 islands at most. however i enjoy getting to know a place. grocery shopping rather than gift shop shopping if you get my drift. we always rent a villa (excepting st. thomas -stayed at secret harbour which is all condos).
if money is a consideration i'd say a villa is your best bet as they are more likely to discount for the month stay.

one idea would be to choose st. john, st. thomas or tortola as your base. rent a house for the month and then explore the other islands, using the interisland ferry system. st. croix is the only one you'd not have access to.

or go to st. martin for 2 weeks and then fly elsewhere. you can fly from st. martin to most of the more southern islands on liat.

i think barbados might be a good place to spend a month. lots of rental villas and quite a bit to do. lots of quiet beaches, plenty of activity day & night in 'the gap', botanical garden, butterfly farm, rum distilleries & old plantatioins.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

We have talked briefly about doing this, but it seems like we wouldn't have the privacy that we want. Have you done it? What is it like to be on the boat with the crew...that is what I'm worried about.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM

We've done it several times - sailing both the BVI's and the Grenadines. Ordinarilly the crew's accomodation will be at the opposite end of the boat - you'll be in the "master suite". The captain will be sailing the boat, the chef will also double as the "housekeeper". You'll interact with them as much or as little as you want. Obviously you'll spend some time chatting with them whenever you want but when you want privacy they will not disturb you. You can relax on various areas of the boat without seeing the crew and whenever you disembark from the boat you'll be on your own.

There will, however, be times when you will have to interact with the crew somewhat like when you stay at a resort and the hotel staff serves you meals, mixes your drinks, etc. We found our need for privacy not to be a major issue on our charters.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Roamsaround, do you have recommendations for us? Who have you used in the past? We would want to interact with the staff, it is more the sleeping arrangements that I was thinking about, also, we aren't used to people "waiting" on us. I do think it would be a wonderful way to experience the islands. We live on the coast in northeastern U.S. so we do love the ocean---warm waters would be such a treat!

Dear Virginia,
Thanks for your suggestions as well. Since we have never had this much time for a vacation it is a bit hard for us to know what we want.(We aren't complaining that's for sure!!) We are also feeling like we have to take full advantage of the time as we will probably never have this much time again at least not until we are retired. We too prefer getting to know the area and won't spend a lot of time in the tourist shopping spots. I only spent 4 days on St. John for a destination wedding a few years ago and at that time I thought wow I could stay here for a few months! I look forward to learning from all of you on this site...so many great suggestions.

Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:54 AM

There are plenty of reputable yacht charter companies. If you do a google search for BVI Yacht Charters you'll find lots of links.

For staters check out:
www.bviyachtcharters.com
www.bvisail.com
www.bgcharters.com
www.cyoacharters.com
www.moorings.com

Don't worry about interacting with the crew - you'll interact as much or as little as you like. Life aboard the boat is casual - it will be more like sailing with friends rather than the dealing with the "hired help".