Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Please help us plan our dream vacation! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/please-help-us-plan-our-dream-vacation-134603/)

Isobel Jul 1st, 2001 07:16 AM

Please help us plan our dream vacation!

My husband and I our planning an island vacation for our first anniverary in April and I was hoping we could get some help finding the island and resort that is perfect for us. First, we love a beautiful beach with that clear Caribbean water and white sand. We also love a place with a lush, tropical feel. We enjoy snorkeling, kayaking, and relaxing on the beach, and maybe a little sight seeing and shopping. We like a resort on the smaller side but one that is still elegant and where we can still feel pampered. Our idea of night life is a great dinner followed by drinks at a quiet bar as we watch the sunset. We have a budget of about $5000 total. Is this a reality someplace or just a dream? We appreciate your advice!

Allison Jul 1st, 2001 09:30 AM

I would suggest the Buccaneer resort in St. Croix. If your anniversary falls in the offseason, I think you can do 7 nights there in your price range. Its a beautiful resort, friendly people, good food, close to town, etc. The beach there is very nice, although the sand isn't the pure white powder I saw on Antigua for instance. However, a day trip to Buck Island will satisfy that need!<BR><BR>The views from the restaurant are awesome, and the sunsets were breathtaking! Snorkeling and kayaking is good right from the beach, and I heard there is plenty to do off resort, but my husband and I couldn't pull ourselves from the beach and resort much!<BR><BR>Feel free to email me with specifics if you'd like!

Penney Jul 1st, 2001 10:38 AM

Sounds like the British Virgin Islands to me!

Kim Jul 1st, 2001 02:50 PM

Try Sandals St. Lucia Halcyon wonderful resort.

Isobel Jul 1st, 2001 06:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The British Virgin Islands look beautiful. I hear they are very expensive. Are there any nice resorts that would fit into our budget? Also-I looked at the Buccaneer's web site and it looks great, too. Is it mainly a family resort or do they cater to younger couples also? I read some posts from people who felt unsafe or uncomfortable outside their resorts on St. Croix. Any comments from people who have been there? Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.

Penney Jul 2nd, 2001 05:13 AM

From what I understand about the Bucanneer, it is mixed. Caters to families but is one of the top honeymoon resorts. If you do choose thee, do pick a roomright on the beach - walk out onto the surf or it is right under you. Was there as a kid and was wonderful!<BR><BR>The USVI are very safe - particularily St. Criox as it is much quieter then St. Thomas, where it is a major ruise port and tons of shoppers.<BR><BR>int he USVI you can take a boat between the islands. Also wonderful underwater snorkling trail at Buck island.<BR><BR><BR>In British Virgin Island - I have heard positive things about Long Bay beach. Alot of great little places on the islands there.<BR>

John Jul 2nd, 2001 07:53 AM

St. John is great. Try Caneel Bay. It may fit into your price range.

Jim Jul 2nd, 2001 08:51 PM

I agree BVI or USVI we stayed at Peter Island several years ago for our anniversary and it sounds like what you are looking for several other locations in BVI might work. Shopping and sight seeing are more St John however you can day trip from either location to the other.

philip Jul 3rd, 2001 09:41 AM

La Samanna in St. Martin is awesome. It has about 80 rooms and many are right on the beach. My wife and I went in late April/early May and a standard 1 bedroom was about $450 per night. <BR>The resort is built as a series of villas, that is split into a few rooms. <BR>St. Martin/Marten also has terrific restaurants and is fairly accessible by direct air from the U.S. <BR> <BR>We went just after the high season ended and rates dropped by about 30%. You'll save quite a bit of money if you go just after the easter holiday. The weather was still picture perfect. <BR> <BR>The Bucanneer in St. Croix is nice, but I agree that it is for families. <BR> <BR>Barbados also has some wonderful hotels. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Mia Jul 3rd, 2001 10:21 AM

There's an all inclusive resort off Antigua called Jumby Bay Resort. I went there on a short vacation a few months ago with my husband, and we had a great time! It's on a private island, and they have white sand beaches, watersports, and you'll definitely feel pampered. Check them out on www.jumbybayresort.com since they post their promo on their sites sometimes. <BR>-Mia

Angela Jul 3rd, 2001 10:49 AM

Bermuda would fit the bill! Beatiful beaches, lovely shopping towns, plenty of beach sports (kayaking, snorkelling, boating, etc), the people are SO friendly and the restaurants are the best I have ever been in. I just got back on Sunday - glad to aanswer any questions.

Allison Jul 4th, 2001 06:51 AM

The Buccaneer had a good mix of visitor s when I was there, couples of various ages, some families with children, and a surprising number of weddings. Although I think it would be a great place to get married! The only group I didn't see represented were singles, and there wasn't much nightlife. <BR> <BR>I did not feel unsafe in St. Croix, although we were in town during the day. I think you should be careful on any island, but worrying a lot didn't seem necessary here. <BR> <BR>Planes seem to fly from town every hour or so, so I think getting to other islands is pretty convenient. <BR> <BR>If you go to the Buccaneer, try to get an ocean front room close to Mermaid Beach. Someone here suggested that to me, and thats what I asked for when I booked. I was very glad that I did, because I felt that we had one of the best rooms on the resort! I love to be steps from the beach, but I imagine that the views from the rooms on the hill must be great. <BR> <BR>Its a wonderful resort and if you have any specific questions, I found the management staff VERY helpful through email before my trip. <BR> <BR>Let us know what you choose!

Isobel Jul 6th, 2001 06:35 PM

Thank you so much for all the ideas--one just sounds more beautiful than the next. I think we're leaning towards someplace in the USVI or BVI, but Jumby Bay and La Samanna also look wonderful. We're off to see the travel agent with some great ideas now. I'll let you know where we end up!

Isobel Jul 10th, 2001 10:52 AM

Well, we finally decided on St. John at Caneel Bay. We just couldn't resist the 7 beautiful beaches. We did end up paying more than we wanted to, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Any ideas from people who have been there regarding good dining, activities, shopping, etc.? Is the meal plan a good deal or would we be better off paying as we go? Once again, thanks for your advice!