Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help!!! -Sandals Negril, Grand Lido Negril, or Swept Away

Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:48 PM
Lois

I am having a very difficult time deciding between these 3 resorts in Negril. We are looking for excellent food and service, romantic accommodations and grounds, relaxing and romantic ambiance. This will be for 4 nights and we probably will not leave the resort except for possibly 1 excursion. Thanks for the help -it is much appreciated!

Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:04 PM
Keely

We've only stayed at Swept Away but took an extensive tour of Grand Lido Negril and visited Sandals briefly. Swept Away PROs: fantastic fitness facilities & Olympic pool. Great healthy buffet-style food, juice bars, & also dressier restaurant if desired. Something to do every hour - classes, workshops, activities, yoga, exercise, clinics -- but no one bothers you or bugs you at all. If you want to just lie on the beach all day, you can & no one will bother you. Pristine white sand beach, gentle surf, no jetskis nearby. No kids. CONS: some of the rooms are starting to get a bit shabby. Very spartan rooms but very charming. Not a lot of storage or closet space in some of the beachfront cottages. Service can be a bit lax, especially housekeeping, but you can't blame the workers because they're overworked & underpaid. They have begun to accept singles, not just couples, & some of the singles when we were there were obnoxious, to be kind. But mostly it's couples who want to be left alone, yet no one is unfriendly. My husband liked the look of Grand Lido better because it is much more upscale. The fitness facilities are not nearly as good as Swept Away so it depends on what's important to you. Sandals did not turn us on - cookie-cutter resort, younger crowd, seemed uninteresting. Our first vacation at Swept Away was unforgettably wonderful. Second wasn't quite as good but it's still a great place. Biggest complaint is that management isn't overseeing properly - I think they're getting a little too complacent. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you need details. Also I got a decent discount from unforgettablehoneymoon.com.

Feb 24th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Penney

We have been to Sandals Negril and GL Negril and there is a fair difference.

GLN is more luxurious - grander rooms, alot more spacious (unless getting one of the top suites at Sandals), a much quieter atmosphere as it caters ot a more mature crowd (but not necessarily older!), less activitiy and evening entertainment but a more pampering and first class resort in just about every way.

Sandals is more casual, very beautiful grounds, nice rooms right on the beach, wonderful food and service but going to offer you more honeymooners and young couples and alot more activity and evening entertainment.

Both are turely wonderful resorts but one cleary quieter and more upscale then the other.

Feb 24th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Lois

Thank you Keely and Penney for your opinions. GLN seems like the best choice for us, but I am concerned about the overall condition of the resort. It seems like there have been several posts lately, on various sites, stating that the resort is becoming a bit run down. I have also read that the service has been a bit slow on check-in and in other areas. Have either of you stayed at GLN recently -what did you think about the overall condition of the resort and the overall service? Also, how is the pool area at this resort? It doesn't look all that impressive judging by the photos on the website, but sometimes it is hard to tell from web photos.

Also, if either of you has visited GLSS, could you comment on this resort? Which of the 2 Grand Lidos has better grounds, food, service?

Thanks again!

Feb 25th, 2002, 06:28 AM
mmm

Just got back from Negril and my husband and I did a lot of walking around the all-inclusives. It looks like the beach around Swept Away looks swept away. Not much beach around there.

Feb 28th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Penney

The two GL resorts re going to be very much the same in regard to service and food. GLSS does have the glamor of being known as a spa resort - people rave about the services and it is alot quieter. Also, the beaches of Ocho are not as nice as Negril - nice but water can be choppy and beaches are smaller then GLN.

The pool at GLN is not that inpressive - at least not the main one. It is nice in that it sits up from the ocean but other then that, it is a pool. We did not really use it much in that the ocean is so wonderful - nice and calm and very clear. There are nice hidden whirlpools scatterred about with bars that are especiall nice at night.

I too have heard some negativity on GLN - therre is a Yahoo Club for the GL resorts - you might want to try and find it and ask there as I am sure they will have more info - it has been a few since we have been. Also, this link:
www.grand-lido.net

Shows the resorts with some pic's.

Penney