Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

please help! need destination for college age children and Mom!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused with finding a last minute destination island for my college age children and myself ( a single Mom). We have been to a few islands and the biggest complaint is being bored after they get off the beach! We are not party animals, but would like a place with others who like to walk around after 8:00p.m.! (and of course is safe).
We like nice accommodations and there are alot of bargains right now, it is just finding the right place. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM

I am a 20 years old college student and my last trip was Curacao with my parents.I absolutely loved it. To keep myself busy I stayed near downtown. It gets pretty busy in the weekends. Lots of nice discoteques. There are lots of things to do on the island itself, like climbing christofel berg, diving, snorkeling etc...
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM

2 thoughts.
1 - barbados somewhere near st. lawrence gap on the southwest coast. beautiful island with a few things to do. the gap offers life after 8pm
2 - playa del carmen - south of cancun. tons of fun to do's from touring ruins to zip-lines. fun in town, duty free shopping in daytime and clubs & plenty of walking around in the evening. at some of the ai's there are on site nightclubs open late late so kids can party & still be on the resort property which helps moms peace of mind
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM

I'm taking my two son to Gand Cayman's Seven
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Sorry about that, i'm taking my two sons(21 and 23)to Grand Cayman's Seven Mile Beach. I haven't been there before but i did research it and it seems to be lively without being too crowded. Plenty for everyone to do and the island seems pretty safe which is very important to me.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Try Playa del Carmen in Mexico. Beautiful beach, very lively downtown area with lots of cool boutiques, restaurants, shopping, and great for day trips to ruins and snorkeling.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Grand Cayman but staying on 7 mile beach or don't go. If you want a combination of a nice hotel and 7 mile the Hyatt is one you might consider. Personally I think Curacao would be too laid back. The social life is concentrated near and around the Arches but it's not a Mom's place. The Marriott there has too many youngsters there the 2 times we eat luch there. Personally I would stay away from Aruba & cancun unless you want them in a 2-3 AM social evenings. But, if they insist I think Cancun at least has the diversion of going over to Isle De Mujeres a little island 20 minutes by ferry where it is a throwback to a quiter time in Mexico or you can take them 50 miles south for the day to Tulum to see the Myan ruins and great snorkeling there if you arrive by 8 AM, after that it gets very crowded. There is no snorkeling really around Cancun.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM

Many years ago,we went to Grand Cayman almost every other winter. Unless it's changed, it's really expensive, and I don't think of it as having that much to do after dark. It does have a beautiful beach, but it sounds like your kids ( and you!) might be bored with that after several hours.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM

We like Aruba & are going back for our 3rd trip in February.
"Kids" are 22/23
We stay @ Marriott Ocean Club but some prefer Marriott Surf Club or Marriott Hotel.
Friends like Riu which is South of the Marriott properties.