Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Please help in finding a hotel on Grand Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/please-help-in-finding-a-hotel-on-grand-cayman-795358/)

phoenix50 Jul 13th, 2009 05:26 PM

Please help in finding a hotel on Grand Cayman

After deciding to take my older teens to the Grand Caymans, I am totally confused about which hotel to choose. I believe staying along the 7Mile Beach would be best, but which hotel??? Marriott, Westin or even Ritz (if there was a good deal). Any info you could give would be helpful.

thank you so much
p.s. I'm a single parent and would hope it's not totally families with small children

luvtotravl Jul 13th, 2009 07:02 PM

You both would enjoy them all, but I would suggest the Westin. (unless money is no object and you can afford ocean side at the Ritz :-)

CaymanSue Jul 14th, 2009 01:29 PM

Your best bet in a SMB condo.

girlonthego Jul 14th, 2009 03:44 PM

We stayed at the Marriott on 7mile beach. The beach area was small compared to some of the other hotels. The hotel was very nice and we have teens. I did not see lots of families at this hotel.
The Ritz is beautiful and new. I think the Westin is fairly large without being too big. That would be my pick although I did not go to that hotel. I saw the Ritz. Very nice.

doug_stallings Jul 14th, 2009 06:48 PM

For older teens I think I'd second CaymanSue's recommendation that you should go for a condo. Unless your kids really enjoy having a crowd of other kids around, this would give you the most flexibility and give you much more spacious and comfortable accommodations. Plus, there are plenty of condos right on Seven Mile Beach.

cayman420 Jul 21st, 2009 05:45 AM

I agree with a condo. You will be happy anywhere on 7MB, it's safe and the teens can do their own thing.
My pick is Plantana, great beach, super location and close to large hotel so they could walk down and rent jet skis and watersports.
You will be happy to have a condo to make breakfast & lunch, it's a huge money saver! They have BBQ's on the beach at plantana and it's great to make cheeseburgers and watch the sunset! Also close to the public beach and they always seem to have something going on (bands ect).

lenlu Aug 9th, 2009 01:13 PM

I just got back from The Ritz with two smaller kids. DIVINE but expensive to eat. Your older kids might enjoy the watersports equipment that is part of the resort fee of 30/day. It includes pool/beach chair setup with umbrella (and this is not to be underestimated, it is work in the blistering heat), use of the pools, gym and water trikes, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, floaties, giant rings that you can swim to and lounge in. It also includes gratuity to all staff. It was actually nice to not shell out money left and right. We loved the sports equipment. They also have a Kid Club that was a Jean Michel Cousteau run program, very cool. It has different age groups and they teach you snorkeling, star gazing, show movies at night, go to the turtle farm etc. Simpler things for little kids. The Westin, when I walked through it, looked very worn. Be sure to read reviews.

greenie Aug 11th, 2009 01:09 PM

I agree with caymansue. We stayed at the Westin when we went and it was nothing to write home about. If I returned to the Caymans I would def. rent a condo on 7mb but further north than the westin.

Peace, Greenie