Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help choose location! Short timeline to plan trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just discovered we have airfare credits we have to USE before August 2. I thought I just had to re-book by August 2, but that is not the case. Regardless, we've got very little time to plan a trip. We'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean. We've been to the Bahamas twice, Puerto Rico twice and Playa del Carmen (I know that's not part of the Caribbean), and we want to go some place new. We are an active family of 40-ish mom and dad, 17yo boy and 7yo girl. I *need* to be in a town that is safely walk-able as I can't sit still for long. The children want to be within walking distance to a beach, and preferably right on one. The husband is the traveling prima donna in the family and won't stay in less than a 3-star hotel. The more stars the better, as far as he's concerned. As long as the place is clean and safe, I really don't care. Although old and historic would be icing on the cake ...

Of all these requirements for a hotel and location, being right in a walk-able town is most important. To me anyway, and I'm making the reservations! Oh ... all-inclusives aren't feasible as the girl has celiac disease, and I don't want to be paying for meals she can't eat. Plus, most AIs seem to be far out of towns. We prefer not to have to rent a car.

Is there a perfect spot out there on such short notice? Thanks!!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 03:13 AM

We need to know where you're flying from and what airline your credits are with.

Also, do you have a budget for your hotel?

Sounds like a great problem to have - hope it works out!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Flying from San Antonio on Delta. Credit is $1013 per person ... I believe we can do just about anywhere in the Caribbean for that. My husband would say no budget on hotel; I prefer $250 a night or less.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

UPDATE: My husband just told me that if I don't come up with an alternative today, he's going to book us at the Ritz-Carlton in San Juan,PR. It's a beautiful property that the he and the children love, but "been there, done that," you know? Plus, that area of San Juan isn't really walkable. Some working ladies were still plying their trade when my 16yo son and I went out walking early one morning last summer, and that was uncomfortable for both of us!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 04:53 AM
KVR

The Hyatt on Palm Beach in Aruba.

The Marriott on 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman.

The Hilton on Barbados.

The Marriott in Curacao.

The Marriott or Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM

agree with kvr's suggestions re aruba, grand cayman & especially barbados.

st. thomas ritz is not in walking distance to anything. the marriott isn't either but has it's own ferry into charlotte amalie so might work for you.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Are there any boutique hotels in 16th-17th century buildings? My taste tends to run in that direction, so the hubby and I occasionally cross swords when trip planning. We actually rent apartments when we travel because it's helpful to have a kitchen with a child with dietary restrictions, but that most definitely requires being in a walkable city. I can find accommodations ... it's the city/island with which I struggle. I have a vision in my head of small, colorful homes creeping up a hillside and bustling markets in the city square.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Maybe you should check out Nevis...Four Seasons resort...or Nisbet Plantation....
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM

www.montpeliernevis.com
www.rawlinsplantation.com
www.ottleys.com
above not on beaches or in towns but in old buildings
www.nisbetplantation.com is on the beach but not in a town. i really can't think of anywhere with historic hotel, on beach in a town.

i still think barbados is a good choice. would you consider renting a car?
how about negri? you can walk into town from many resorts & kids would like the beach.
the thing is most people don't want to be in a town so not many resorts in towns.