Search

Please Help - Caribbean Honeymoon Ideas / Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help - Caribbean Honeymoon Ideas / Suggestions

Hello,

My fiance and I are (trying) to plan a Honeymoon vacation somewhere in the Caribbean or elsewhere, but neither one of us has any idea where to begin or to go. We went to a local travel agent, but the lady we spoke didn't offer many suggestions. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. We are planning to go for a week, May 7-14th. My budget is between $5,000 - $7,000 or so.

My fiance said that she wanted a water bungalow (WB), but after a little research on the forums, I saw that there aren't too many options for WB's in the Caribbean. We have a few preferences:

1. Not very crowded - private resort would be nice
2. Adults only
3. Doesn't have to be in Caribbean
4. All-Inclusive??
5. Near the water if not on the water

I think that's it for now, I'll post more preferences if I remember any.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance,
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Punta caracoal has overwater bungalows, but I canot think of any others off the top of my head.
Why not opt for a small exclusive all inclusive. Do some searches for AI.
Going for a week on that budget expands your options quite bit - search 'honeymoon' and you will see a slew of suggestions, here are some to start!

Peter Island
Kamalame Cay
Goldeneye
The Caves Resort
Biras Creek
Caneel Bay
The Ocean Club (Bahamas)
Parrot Cay
The Carlisle
Raffles Canouan

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I recently found what I think is a pretty in-depth list of adult-only resorts. Here is the link (this is a commercial website but I am not affiliated with the company in any way; I'm just a person who prefers more relaxing vacations without being surrounded by tons of childen).

http://www.resortvacationstogo.com/S...s.html?nr=xig3

The list includes both AI and non-AI properties in separate sections.

In terms of my personal experience, I have only been to the BodyHoliday at LeSport in St. Lucia. It is a smaller resort (155 rooms) and has a much more intimate feel compared to my only other AI experience (in the Domincan Republic). St. Lucia was really beautiful, and Ladera is an adults-only non-AI option.

In general, I would say that the AI resorts in Mexico and the DR tend to be much larger properties, but you may be able to find something with a more private feel there given your budget.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, they are a good start for my research. How about Hawaii or should we save that for another trip?

Also, should I book the vacation online or go through a travel agent?

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thank you,
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Hawaii as a destination for one week would really depend on where you live.
If Los Angeles, then fine, anywhere else and you will want to wait until you have more time and a larger budget.

I also forgot Little Dix Bay as another option.

As for booking online as opposed to a travel agent, I prefer to book the majority of my closer trips like the islands on my own. When I have a larger budget and am going somewhere more far flung with which I am not familiar I will go to a specialized agent.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Is adults only an absolute requirement? Because many of the higher end smaller resorts that I can think of may not attract too many children but do not ban them. Most of the ones on the list provided in that very useful link are very large AI's. And there are many nice places on sneep's list worth considering that are not adults only. Other "Smaller" resorts worth checking out -- many of these have a meal plan option or meals included - Jumby Bay, Jamaica Inn, Nisbet Plantation, Cap Juluca. Regarding Hawaii, it depends on where you live -- are you closer to the Caribbean or Hawaii? It's a very long trip from the East Coast for only a week. Larger resorts that will have kids but are worth checking out -- Four Seasons Punta Mita (my all-time favorite resort thus far), Four Seasons Costa Rica. P.S. 9 Beaches in Bermuda has overwater bungalows.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Hawaii: I've only been to Oahu (for business), but given how long it takes to fly there and back (I'm on the east coast), I probably wouldn't go when I only had a week because I would like to see at least two islands.

Travel agents: Some people love them, but personally I have not been able to find a good agent. I have tried to work with three different agents over several years, and have found that they either were not very knowledgeable or were unwilling to do hardly any work (one acted like I was being unreasonable when I asked her to check rates at four hotels). So, I pretty much do everything on-line myself now (either booking directly through the providers' (airlines, hotels) websites and/or using an on-line booking agent such as hotels.com, expedia, etc. The distinction between on-line and brick and motor travel agencies is becoming very blurred. You can book trips on-line with traditional travel agencies, and a lot of the internet sites are owned by a brick and mortar travel agency. Bottom line, it is a personal decision based on your comfort level about who is going to do a better job in finding you the right vacation.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

To answer a couple of questions:

1. Adults only is not an absolute requirement, we just don't want a bunch of kids running and screaming while we are trying to relax.

2. We are in Texas and will either be flying out of Dallas or Houston, so we are pretty centrally located.

Another question, what is your opinion about All Inclusive, seems like it's nice to have, but for the price, would you just recommend booking the rooms and then paying for everything seperatly or is AI worth it due to convenience.

Thank you,
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Some really nice places that seem to fit what you are looking for:

Cap Juluca- this resort is really nice, the villas are steps from the beach and it is a very romantic non crowded place!

Parrot Cay- in Turks and Caicos, on a small private island, can stay in a beach house to be close to the water.

Both of these places are not exclusively Adults only but you probably won't see too many kids there. All Inclusive... I think you can get meal plans at both (I know you can at Parrot Cay, not sure about Cap Juluca though.)

I am sure there are many more places that you can choose from. These are 2 places in the Caribbean that we have been that I would consider top notch and perfect for a special romantic trip.

We stayed in an OverWater Bungalow for our entire honeymoon years ago, but it was in Tahiti (Bora Bora/Moorea)

I am not sure if there are many options for OverWater in the Caribbean- for the most part that is more in French Polynesia, Maldives etc...

For the Caribbean though- I would absolutely highly recommend both Cap Juluca and Parrot Cay for an amazing trip!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM

To help you plan your honeymoon...
We are centrally located, as well. It takes us 8 hours to get to Hawaii. We are leaving on Wed to go to the Caribbean, where we have a 7 hour layover in Miami. So, we leave our airport at 6am and will arrive in Barbados after 9:30 PM. Much longer for us. You may want to start out by selecting some different islands and then checking airline schedules as you have only a week. May is off season in both places and kids will still be in school.
We got married in Hawaii and I love both Kauai and the Caribbean islands. However, for a honeymoon, I think the Hawaiian islands and a few Mai Tai's can't be beat.
Is an AI worth it? That's an individual decision. Some people like the idea of staying at the resort and just reading some great books and an AI works well for them. Others enjoy their coffee and maybe a danish, but aren't breakfast eaters or maybe they don't really eat lunch or don't drink. Or maybe they would rather try many different restaurants. An AI may not be worth the money they put out.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM

I am not sure I am allowed to do this but I love my travel agent. She is great! She always gets us upgraded and usually free breakfasts included. And she gives me all kind of suggestions when I am not sure what I want. Google Sigrid Braeckeveldt if you are interested.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:09 AM

If you are in Texas and would enjoy an easy trip after the wedding, definitely check out Four Seasons Punta Mita. It's only a 2 1/2 hour direct flight from Houston to Puerta Vallarta, then about a 45 minute drive. I have been to lots of places in the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii and this place cannot be beat as an all-around incredible beach resort with unbelievable service and every amentiy you can think of. However, it's not quite as small as you may want and there will be preschool kids there at that time in May because Four Seasons does cater to families, but since it is not a typical holiday time there might not be too many that week. And there is an adults only pool and most of the families don't spend time on the quiet beach but stay on the one with all the water sports. Do take a look. You might also like La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatenejo. Either way, I would book soon because three months in advance is not a lot of time to get what you want with airfare that fits your schedule.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am excited about a few destinations, and am researching them as I go.

Could someone please tell me if they have stayed at 9 Beaches in Bermuda? It seems like a great place to stay, with private "cabanas" on or near the water. I did read one reviewer on Yahoo Travel who was complaining of the noise level and about light coming into the rooms. I also read that the service was very bad.

Also, I spoke to my fiance and we would like to stick to the Caribbean area (no Mexican resorts), so would you please give me specific resorts that you have been to so I can research them. Sorry if I am asking to much, but I am still overwhelmed with all the islands and destinations.

Thanks as always!!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I haven't been there yet, but my fiance and i are staying at Spice Island Beach Resort in Grenada. It's pricey, but google luxurylink - a good website for auctions of luxury hotel accomodations. We got our stay for almost 1/2 of what it would cost to pay direct.

Spice Island gets rave reviews on their food (which was my concern with AI) so i thought that the convenience of it would be great. Plus it was included in the package!

The Sea Grape suites are right on the beach - we'll be there at the beginning of June. I don't think it's adults only, but it didn't sound like there were tons of kids running around from what i've heard.

It's on Grand Anse beach which is one of the most beautiful in the world! And it's a smaller resort so hopefully not too crowded.

I haven't been there yet, but check it out!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Ti Kaye and Ladera in St. Lucia. You can have a private bungalow with your own plunge pool right on the beach at Ti Kaye. At Ladera there rooms are open air to the natural environment and it's located in between the gorgeous lush mountains. Both very different, but spectacular! Check them out!
Also, last spring we went on a fabulous vacation to Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Tamarindo is no great shakes, but the resort itself is charming, gorgeous...kayaking, surfing, beaching...the works for a more active vacation seeker
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:32 AM

I'm going to second wrigley's suggestion at ask you to take a look at Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada. It would be at the upper end of your price range, including airfare, if you book your vacation through a place like LuxuryLink.com.

I've not stayed there, but I've toured the property and have eaten two meals there. The standard of service was excellent (it was really great our first time there, but then we went later in the week for a second meal. They remembered us and welcomed us back as if we were their most valued guests that day.) the ambience of the open-air dining spaces was gracious and relaxed, and both the food and the presentation were worthy of the setting.

Many of the suites open directly onto Grand Anse beach, a real stunner, and since the renovation after Hurricane Ivan, the interiors have been upgraded to include many luxuries. There weren't many children when we were there at the height of summer vacation. I'd imagine there are even fewer in May before school lets out for the summer. Spice Island Beach Resort is also locally owned, managed, and operated, so they're extremely committed to making your stay as perfect as can be, and what's more, they give back to the local community of Grenada!

Beyond all that, the island of Grenada is simply gorgeous. Lush and mountainous but with beautiful beaches, it offers many opportunities to explore. Lots of great options for daytrips, whether you want to hike inland to swim in the waterfalls, tour the small chocolate factory, take a daytrip to the Tobago Cays or sister island of Carriacou, or just wander around the market in downtown St. George's, marveling at the bountiful produce and spices.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Caneel Bay-St. John; Spice Island-Grenada;Coral Reef Club-Barbados;Petit St. Vincent-Grenadines; Cap Juluca-Anguilla; Curtain Bluff-Antigua. All right on fine beaches, highly-rated, adult-oriented. PSV is a private island resort, with only 20-odd cottages. One way to approach might be to research what kind of island might appeal to you (active vs.quiet, arid vs tropical green) and pick a resort on one of those. Travel agents usually try to steer to the well-known and chains and will never take the time to really dig into what you might want. Once you've found where youywant to go and stay, a travel agent mat be able to help you get a good price or efficiently set up the reservations. But going to the Caribbean is all about where you stay, since you will be spending so much time at the resort. Even getting a rooms map and picking a room for location or view can be important. It's not like going to Paris and picking any decent hotel whne you'll seldom be there.