Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Please help! AI St. Lucia (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/please-help-ai-st-lucia-877258/)

jdvc1389 Feb 9th, 2011 01:12 PM

Please help! AI St. Lucia

I am trying to plan an all-inclusive trip to surprise my boyfriend in May.. Please don't try to talk me out of all-inclusive, I prefer to travel without bringing my wallet everywhere, it makes it 100x more relaxing, just me. I have researched all the islands and decided on St Lucia for the breathtaking landscapes. We are a young couple who love great food, plentiful drinks, lush landscapes, as well as snorkeling, hiking, exploring etc. I was hoping for some experienced insight as to the resorts, I don't want to go over the top expensive, but I don't want to stay at a dated/unsafe place either.
My travel agent suggests I should consider Punta Cana instead to save money, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.. I'm open to suggestions with good reasons why, I've never been to the islands so I'm going in blind. He has been to Grenada, with an ex.. Soo yeah not there..
Help is very much needed and appreciated!!

doug_stallings Feb 9th, 2011 02:19 PM

Snorkeling in Punta Cana is inferior to St. Lucia, and the landscape there isn't very lush, and there's virtually nothing to do in Punta Cana outside the AI resort complexes within an hour's drive (everything is pretty far, so excursions and activities are pretty expensive).

But you're not going to find great food at the typical all-inclusive resort either, regardless of where you go. You're going to have to compromise somewhere.

I like St. Lucia but find the AI experience there not the best deal. But I certainly understand where you're coming from. If you like the Sandals experience, there are some good Sandals resorts there. And there are several Almond resorts.

I'd avoid the AI near the airport in Hewanorrow (Coconut Bay). It's far from everything, and you can't swim in the water there because the surf is too rough.

Body Holiday is more expensive than other all-inclusives, but it includes daily spa treatments and has yoga and fitness classes.

You'll have a much wider selection of all-inclusive resorts in both Jamaica and the DR, but they still come with all the limitations of AI resorts, and snorkeling isn't great at any of them. I think pricing is actually a better deal in Ocho Rios in Jamaica, and it's often cheaper to get there.

You don't say what your budget is. But in May, which is either shoulder or low season, a whole host of other options open up to you when you can afford to pay $2,500 and get off-season package rates at a true deluxe or luxury resort. I suspect you're planning on spending considerably less ... and in that case, you will have to choose between fairly mediocre all-inclusives unless you can come up with more than $1,500 per person for a week. Definitely buy an air/hotel package, though, because airfares are really high this year.

And don't forget Mexico. Resorts in Cozumel offer stupendous snorkeling opportunities nearby, albeit not very lush surroundings. The Mayan Riviera is also a tremendous bargain. And in Mexico your money goes pretty far.

doug_stallings Feb 9th, 2011 02:21 PM

That $2,500 cost is per person, not per trip, by the way. That's what you have to pay (minimum) to get a true luxury experience.

jdvc1389 Feb 10th, 2011 05:57 AM

Thanks Doug you've been very helpful!
I was hoping to keep a budget of around 3,500 total, but I'm having trouble finding anything much less than 5,000.. We did Mexico in November, Playa del Carmen, and it was amazzzzzing.. However it was my only experience leaving the country so I was hoping to try somewhere new this time.

jdvc1389 Feb 10th, 2011 06:15 AM

Also, my boyfriend has mentioned to me that he had no interest in Jamaica, and as much as I think it would be a great vacation, it's a gift for him, so I'm trying to follow his rules lol

Since you mentioned it, what do you see as the "best deal"? I'm starting to think I might have to compromise AI and weigh out other options against it, I'm just afraid we'll be dropping another thousand on food and drinks for the week..

doug_stallings Feb 10th, 2011 09:40 AM

Rates have actually gone up at luxury resorts more than I had thought.

I had been thinking about Anse Chastanet, but it's more like $3,200 per person all-inclusive, so I don't think that will work for you. Caneel Bay in St. John is similar. You could get a breakfast/dinner package with a 1-bedroom suite at The Landings for about $2,400 per person, but you'd still have to get lunch on your own.

In terms of all-inclusives, perhaps you should look at Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana. It would probably fall well in your original estimate.

Or you could get a breakfast/dinner package in Nevis at Montpelier Plantation Inn for about $2,500 but perhaps not in May ... you might have to go in June. This is a more intimate kind of property, but Nevis does have the experience you're looking for.

You could easily meet your original budget by staying at Bay Gardens Beach Resort on St. Lucia (it's not fancy but still nice and on a good beach with a good location) and eating at the nice restaurants nearby in Rodney Bay, even considering it's not all-inclusive. The resort does have incredibly cheap meal plans, but it's a small hotel with few organized activities ... you have to arrange everything yourself. That doesn't seem to be what you want.

I'm sure you don't want to be given so many different kinds of choices. If you go AI, check out Almond Smuggler's Cove or try Ti Kaye Village, which is a little isolated but has very reasonable meal plans (you just have to pay for drinks and off-resort activities).

sassy_cat Feb 10th, 2011 12:52 PM

Ti Kaye in St.Lucia is romantic and has a good restaurant on site (not expensive). It has great snorkeling on the beach but you do have to go down a lot of stairs to reach the beach as it's built on a hillside ... so great views AND a workout when you climb back up from the beach.

There's another restaurant on the beach itself so you won't starve!

It is fairly isolated though and taxis are fairly expensive.
http://www.tikaye.com/

Here's another suggestion for St.LUCIA, Windjammer..
http://www.windjammer-landing.com/

jdvc1389 Feb 11th, 2011 07:27 PM

Thank you everyone for all your help! I'm going with Windjammer and attending Jazz Fest :)

Will report afterward :)