Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Please Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/please-help-538484/)

dancingqueen0909 Jun 21st, 2005 02:57 PM

Please Help!

As I have read through countless forums, I am starting to believe that Caribbean is not for me. It has been my dream to go to the Caribbean since I was 10. However, as a college student with not a lot of extra cash, the Caribbean is seeming to be totally out of my price range. Any ideas of islands that I could possibly stay on with a budget? Or any other places? Here is what I want:
1. White powder sand
2. Tourqoise clear water
3. Very good swimming and snorkeling
(I want this to basically be off of the resort so I don't have to drive to many places to do everything that I want)
4. Good hiking with waterfalls (maybe swim under one?)
5. Clean and nice invironment, not luxery

I'm not into nightlife ect...

Am I totally just having a dream-like fantasy for wanting all this in a budget? Or can I really make it happen? Please Help!

jacketwatch Jun 21st, 2005 03:10 PM

It would help to know what your budget is.

bosoco Jun 21st, 2005 03:45 PM

It will be hard to find an island with the white sand, turquoise water and the interior waterfalls. And even if you do, they will not be close to where you stay.

You can go to the Caribbean on a budget, as there alot of package deals offered to several islands.

So, you have to be open-minded about what you are looking for.

Given the first two items on your list, you may be better off considering the Bahamas for your first trip.

vinceygirl Jun 21st, 2005 06:55 PM

First what is your budget?
Where would you be traveling from?
Since you haven't ever been to the Caribbean a nice way to check out a few islands at a reasonable price is to take a Windjammer Barefoot cruise.
There is an itinerary out of Miami and there just might be a special BOGO for the summer on select sailings.
The Mandalay is sailing the BVI's too.
Good hiking and waterfalls are hard to find on the islands closest to US except for PuertoRico which is option.
I'd take the WJ. The price is probably right for your budget, snorkeling is always available within the places visited. You wouldn't have to drive. I know you will definitely find crystal clear blue waters. Swimming most definitely sometimes even off the side of the ship. Accomodations are neat and clean but basic.
I usually always include a wk on a WJ when I visit the Caribbean.
As for partying if you want you can usually find one to do as much or as little as you like. That's one of the nice things about WJ you set your own pace. If you don't have a roomate WJ will find one for you too.
www.windjammer.com and www.jammerbabe .com are good web sites to visit.
Many resorts will run specials this time of yr to fill their rooms in the off season

Canuck_at_Canada_eh Jun 21st, 2005 09:00 PM

Well you could easily get all your requirements except #4 the waterfall by visiting Cuba.

Price is very reasonable.
Cayo Largo, Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo, Cayo Santa Maria or Playa Guardalavaca would fulfill your requirements.

Many package vacations are available depending exactly what you are looking for. Check with your travel agent.

Steve

KVR Jun 21st, 2005 09:00 PM

I had basically the same criteria when we decided on our first trip to the Caribbean. We were on a meagor budget also. We chose Cozumel, Mexico and loved it. Been back to that area 3 other times. Also look at Playa del Carmen.

Not all Caribbean Islands will have all the criteria you are looking for. Decide what is most important to you and start there.

From our experience, look at Mexico, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, St. John, Turks and Caicos, British Virgin Islands for nice beaches, water and snorkeling. For waterfalls, look at St. Lucia, Hawaii, Dominica, Puerto Rico.

A cruise might give you the best of both worlds, but you won't have much time to relax or explore.

Callaloo Jun 22nd, 2005 03:45 AM

You may wish to consider Grenada -- it meets all of your criteria except for very good snorkeling (the snorkeling is OK).

Grenada is incredibly diverse. The beaches range from the creamy sand of Grand Anse beach (where there is a good number of reasonably priced hotels, many right on the beach) to the grey/black volcanic sand of other island beaches. Where the sand is white, the water is turquoise and the swimming lovely.

Grenada is a hiker's delight, with rain forests, crater lakes, and yes, waterfalls, to explore. The island is lush and fertile, with beautiful vegetation. By all accounts, it is making a strong recovery from the devastation of Ivan (though I recommend checking in on www.grenadaexplorer.com).

Finally, the range of lodging is very wide, with some of the last, best bargains in the Caribbean available. I'm sure you can find the right spot for you.

The only drawback is the snorkeling. It's fine, but not extraordinary. An island with this level of plant life -- hence, run-off -- tends to suffer from lesser visibility and less reef life. You can certainly be entertained by snorkeling here, but the better stuff is a day trip away (e.g. Carriacou or the Grenadines).