Christmas in the Caribbean. Suggestions?

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in the Caribbean. Suggestions?

Where should we go next Christmas(12/25-12/31)? Family of four, kids 11 and 14. I'm willing to spend up to 10k air included for the week. Maybe I'm asking for too much but the general criteria would be some place that doesn't take all day to get to( from Pa.), great beach, and a relative sense of seclusion(not overrun with small kids). Is traveling on Xmas day advisable?? Either Caribbean or Cancun. All inclusive OK. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM

You might try this website www.coralsands.com for a lovely resort that is very family oriented on one of the Family Islands of the Bahamas. YOu can fly directly into Nassau and take the fast ferry over to the island. Very safe there, so your kids will have a bit of freedom to do things on their own, and meet other kids from all over the US, Canada and Europe.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:03 AM

The Christmas/New Year's holidays this year fall within the same week (Christmas is Sunday, New Year's Eve the following Saturday). You may well find 10 night to 2 week minimum rentals, as well as the usual premium pricing, the policy. And many places are already booked. Suggest you rent a villa -- anywhere in islands that appeals -- for most bang for your buck let alone privacy.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:19 AM

We had a wonderful Xmas on Tortola one year, and the commute was easy. You can also ferry to Virgin Gorda, Anegada, and other islands. Just don't stay at Sebastians!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:52 AM

Grahams, curious why you warn us away from Sebastian's. I'm planning my first (husband's second) trip to Tortola for next year...
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:26 AM
kgn

I would never consider the Bahamas in Dec. to cold. We just did a cruise with our kids ages 8 - 15. There was something for everyone and it cost us approx 10K. It was a nine day cruise stopping at 7 islands. Basically it was a floating hotel that we got off of every day to a new adventure.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM
NM

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teens, age 16 and 19 that travel to the Carib. annually. For the past 3 yrs. we have spent Christmas/New Years on our favorite island, Anguilla. Your budget may or may not work for 6 people depending upon where you stay and whether you cook some meals eat vs. eat out. We rent a wonderful 3 bedroom villa and eat out all dinners and some b'fasts and lunches. Anguilla definitely offers a sense of seclusion and privacy with outstanding beaches and restaurants. If you want to travel over the holidays you have to book at least 11 months ahead--pay premium prices and, as another poster stated, there are many villa/hotels that have minimum stay requirements. I also would not recomm. the Baham. at that time of yr.--weather may not work. Best of luck--we have loved Christmas on the Islands. We have not traveled on Xmas day. May be fine although I would think you are talking minimum staffing levels.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies. I may look at villas on St. John or Anguilla.