Please advise on Dominican Republic

Jul 15th, 1998, 03:47 PM
Caryn

Please advise on Dominican Republic

I am planning a tentative trip to the Dominican Republic next winter. Where is the best place to go? Do you have any advice on budget travel? I can't afford a high priced resort.

Jul 16th, 1998, 05:04 AM
Sherry Bhardwaj

We've just returned from the Dominican Republic. We were at the AMHSA Casa del Mar resort. IT was excellent and was extremely good quality for the price we paid. It is supposed to be busier during the winter months but as far as teh advertised prices go, I don't think that they varied too much - we paid under 1200 CAD per person for a week (all inclusive of course). A couple of other resorts we had lloked into before deciding on this one were Capella Beach, Coral Hamaca and Flamenco Beach (the first two are worth looking into). If you need any info on Casa Del Mar, feel free to write to me. Hope you have a great holiday.

/Sherry

Jul 19th, 1998, 08:46 PM
george

We will be visiting Punta Cana in Aug, staying at the Natura Park. I'll let you know how the experience was.

Jul 19th, 1998, 08:49 PM
goerge

sherry, what is 1200 CAD equal to in dollars? Is the 1200 in dollars?

Jul 20th, 1998, 04:48 AM
sherry

George,

CAD stands for Canadian Dollars. I think when you asked how much it was in Dollars, you meant US Dollars. With the exchange rate being the way it is, it probably translates to 850 US Dollars per person. But this was a flight out of Toronto and was on a charter airline (Royal Airlines). The prices vary based on where you are travelling out of and which airline you take. We booked our vacation thru SunQuest. If you are in the USA, but are close to Canada, your best bet (for a good price deal) is to fly to Toronto and leave from there. Happy Hunting and Good Luck!! If you need any more information, please write.

Ciao,
Sherry

Jul 21st, 1998, 04:03 AM
Michel

We stayed at Hacienda Tropical (20 minutes west of Puerto Plata) for two weeks, and the cost was about $1,600 CDN (about $1,100 U.S.) per person. The resort is great, as are the food, the activities, and the people. Many excursions leave from the resort. If you would like more information, please write me directly.

Jul 23rd, 1998, 08:44 AM
Lee

There are lots of places to go in the DR that arn't too expensive, and you might even save a lot of money if you can find a resort that you can pay in dominican pesos rather than dolars. I suggest searching the web for some places other than resorts, these places can provide a more meaningful experience for a lot less money.

Lee

Jul 24th, 1998, 09:11 AM
Carole

Just came back from Natura Park in DR. The place is great. Paid $800 per person all-inclusive with a charter flight out of Newark. There is a little language barrier problem unless you have someone with you who speaks Spanish. Staff is very outgoing and friendly and try hard to please. If you go to Natura say hello to Juan in tbe dining room he was wonderful. He waits tables in the very back room of the dining area. The weather is extremely hot. The beaches were nice, but the pool is nicer. Don't need to pack too much, as you spend most of the time in bathing attire. Bring loose fitting light clothing (we packed too much). The food is very good and plentiful. The two restaurants are also very good.

Jul 25th, 1998, 03:03 PM
Therese Woods

Hi. My husband and I just got back from Casa del Mar in Bayahibe (very close to Casa de Campo & La Romana) yesterday. We loved it! The beach & pool are beautiful, great food and a wonderful, relaxing atmosphere. There were lots of water sports, bikes & horseback riding. It's an all-inclusive and, IMHO, it's a great value for the money spent. We stayed 5 days/4 nights for just over $600 (US) for both, plus some $235/person for air. Great! For this time of year, we couldn't find a cruise for under $1,100/person, and that does not include beverages (not that we drink a lot, but a beer here and a glass of wine there adds up on a cruise). Also, there were no additional costs for activities. The only additional fee was the safe deposit rental (about two bucks a day). All in all, I highly recommend this place.
Have fun!

Jul 26th, 1998, 04:28 PM
connie baumeister

I vote for CASA DE CAMPO. Not expensive and very beautiful and all inclusive from meals to drinks.

They have great packages.

Have fun!

Jan 14th, 1999, 12:25 PM
Amy

Hello: We are going to the DR this March, and will let you know. We are paying $718 roundtrip airfare for 2 people from New York's JFK airport. We plan to stay in Cabarete, which is near Sousa, at Hotel Kaoba for $32 per night in bungalow-type accomodations. This is definitely not a high-priced resort. If I forget to write back to you, ask me about the trip after April 4th.