Playacar and Playa del Carmen, nightlife?

Dec 30th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Cassandra

Playacar and Playa del Carmen, nightlife?

Help! Has anyone out there stayed in either of these places? I'm going with a group of friends who all have different needs, but our most important is to be able to walk to a good bar/restaurant. Will we have enough nightly entertainment to go somewhere new for 4 nights??? Any feedback to these locations would be appreciated!

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Lyn

Cassandra, we didn't stay in Playa Del Carmen, but we visited there on a day trip while staying in Cancun. There are PLENTY of restaurants/bars to visit to keep you busy for probably at least a few weeks. It's a very quaint area, much more so than Cancun and in fact I'd like to plan a trip there eventually. Good choice and good luck!

Dec 30th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Karen

We did not stay in Playa but were close enough to dine and be in Town in the evening. There are plenty of party spots and nitelife and several very excellent restaurants that we thoroughly enjoyed! Walking the length of 5th Avenue was no problem and there is many bars and restaurants to chose from. In fact, if you go to www.cancunmap.com you can order great maps that are wonderful tourist guides too! (guessing that they are still operating!) Would have to dig out my Playa info but there was a terrific French cafe towards the north end and another excellent restaurant right off 5th - sorry, don't remember the names.

Dec 30th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Christie

The taxis from most hotels to downtown PDC are only $5 US each way, and since it is a little over a mile from the hotel area to downtown, it makes a lot of sense to take the taxi! Fifth Avenue is full of fun night spots as well as good shopping. We got henna tattoos at the Blue Parrot!

Dec 31st, 2001, 03:32 AM
Stephen Schulz

Cassandra: You might receive better responces by posting this on the Latin America/Mexico board.

Dec 31st, 2001, 03:45 AM
Stephen Schulz

Cassandra: Try these URL's for information.
http://www.playadelcarmen.com/
http://mytravelboard2.com/playa/
http://www.locogringo.com/index.shtml
I would also agree with Karen that the can-do maps at www.cancunmap.com seem to be a very good resource and value for the money. I have purchased the Map of Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel, and they have been very helpfull in my vacation planing.
Enjoy your travels!
Stephen Schulz

Jan 1st, 2002, 07:44 AM
robert

STEPHEN SCHULZ ARE YOU LOOKING? sorry Cassandra to use your posting to ask him a question.
I was going to the area mentioned but all booked up. Having to go to Dominican Republic instead. do you by chance know any good URLs for that island. My gal has been told to stay within the resort, not my style. I understand the waterfalls, the hiking, the beauty are everywhere. Any info would be used to enjoy the island.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:58 AM

ttt

Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Mariarosa

Cassandra,
Playacar/Playa del Carmen/Maya Riviera is fabulous. We have stayed in Playacar at the Allegro Playacar (older property, but we loved it!) for the past three years, and still choose to visit again this year. This area has everything provided for the most fabulous vacation.
Great weather/beautiful beaches/the Mayan adventure tours are incredible/food and nightlife is plentiful and good. Make sure you take an afternoon and evening to visit Xcaret. The evening performance will take you on an adventure from the days of the Maya up to present day Mexican culture. This experience will be extremely memorable. But, of course, best of all..Mexico..the price is right.
You will have a great time!