Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Playa del Carmen vs. Negril vs. Other (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/playa-del-carmen-vs-negril-vs-other-1463189/)

rachycakes28 Aug 6th, 2017 04:10 AM

Playa del Carmen vs. Negril vs. Other

Hello! Currently planning a honeymoon and I am overwhelmed so would like some help. Here is what we are looking for & why we are between Negril/Playa. We will be going in July

1. Somewhere with a great beach (I know Negril wins in this area)
2. All inclusive resort with nice pools & great food (both have good options)
3. Also want to see culture & not be totally confined to the resort (Negril has bars & restaurants up and down the beach; Playa has 5th avenue)
4. Excursions that are not too far from the hotel (Negril has the cliffs & waterfalls not too far; Playa we could do a day trip to Cozumel and/or see the Cenotes)

Cons that I have heard about each:
Negril: Many vendors that will come up to you on the beach
Playa: Beach is not as nice as Negril

I have not been to either place, so any feedback would be helpful. If you could also think of another place that would fit the criteria of what we are looking for, that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!!

suze Aug 6th, 2017 05:49 AM

I like Negril a lot. But I've never stayed at an All Inclusive so don't know about those. The hotel I've been at on 7-mile beach (Charela Inn) vendors weren't allowed to approach guests unless you called them over (there was a staff member who hung out casually in the back and kept an eye on things).

Both Playa del Carmen and Negril offer everything on your wish list.

I've been to Negril 3 times, when I go to Mexico it's to Puerto Vallarta so can't help specifically about Playa.

Whathello Aug 6th, 2017 09:16 PM

Not been to negril but liked playaa lot.
Not a fan of AI but our hotel was great and had several restaurants several pools and I didn't see any vendor on the beach.
I am the kind of guy who becomes bored quickly on the beach or badly sunburnt so I didn't spend hours.
We did several excursions from playa. One with the hotel others with a car. Cozumel obviously and a boat trip.
I think chichen itza was feasible.
Have fun.

schmerl Aug 7th, 2017 02:33 AM

Playa offers more in the way of excursions. Not just cenotes or Cozumel. There are many ruins to explore, zip lining, snorkeling, diving, etc.

suze Aug 7th, 2017 09:09 AM

There's loads of excursions from Negril. Just put those words in a google search and dozens or things pop up.

Weadles Aug 8th, 2017 10:15 AM

I've been to both. They're very different places. Negril is more rustic and has a much better beach than Playa. Most hotels other than Beaches, Swept Away, and a few others are very small, so if you're looking for something grander with tons of amenities, you might be disappointed.

Activities in Negril revolve around the water. There's fishing and waterfalls nearby, and you could easily arrange a trip to Treasure Beach for the day ( about two hours away). Restaurants on the beach or the West End are small family-run places, with good food and reasonable prices, which is why most people don't bother with AIS.

However, unless you're a beach person ( meaning happy to spend most of your time on the beach) you might get bored in a couple days, and wish you'd gone to Playa, where there's so much more to do in and around the area OUT of the water.
Excursions, wandering around Fifth Avenue at night, etc.

And lots of decent AIS, if that's what you want on your vacation...