Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Plantana, Discovery Point or Tarquynn?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/plantana-discovery-point-or-tarquynn-347724/)

Robin Aug 13th, 2003 12:03 PM

Plantana, Discovery Point or Tarquynn??

These three condos are available for our travel dates in November. Which would you pick? I want to stay North rather than South, but there also is Regal Beach Club available. All have Ocenfront but I'm concerned about the beach and the best location that isn't real rocky and has nice soft white sand. We will be traveling with our two teen sons and will be renting a car/jeep. Any help from those who have been?? This will be our first trip to GC and the seven mile beach. "Thanks" in advance.
Robin

cayman420 Aug 13th, 2003 12:15 PM

I would stay at Plantana. Location is great, the boys could walk or rent a jeep. The sand and ocean in that area is fantastic. You will love Grand Cayman, it's expensive but worth it!
Don't forget to go to the reef grill and the bar is happenin' at the bed late night.

Robin Aug 13th, 2003 12:33 PM

Thanks!! Everyone raves over the beach in this area and that's a big plus. It sounds like a great location! Do you know how Plantana compare's with the others in condo niceness, new decor and personnel there? Is Plantana an older condo and does anyone know if it has been recently renovated? How do the rooms compare? I'm an Avalon type gal but they are booked for our dates. We we really don't want to go any further South than Plantana.

tjcm Aug 14th, 2003 04:34 AM

Hi, Robin.

Check out their website: plantanacayman.com if you haven't already. Also look at comments under wheretostay. It is beautiful.

cayman420 Aug 14th, 2003 11:34 AM

I have also heard great things about Aqua Bay, you might check it out.
Plantana is an older property. I havent stayed there but was invited to a party at one of the condos. It was very nice. They are all privately owned so I'm sure the decor will vary.
The property is kept up and the pool is nice. You will not feel like you made the wrond decision. Just request picture prior to putting down a deposit.

Robin Aug 14th, 2003 01:48 PM

Thanks cayman, you have been very helpful. So is Aqua Bay a better choice than Plantana? Is the beach as nice at Aqua Bay as in front of Plantana? Which one is newer? I have read that Plantana had a renovation in 2000. I will request picture as cayman suggests.

Cher Aug 15th, 2003 05:07 AM

The beach in front of Plantana is superb ... condos and grounds look nice from the outside, although I haven't stayed there. Beach in front of Aqua Bay is equally as nice. There is an off-shore reef (Governors Reef) right off the beach by Plantana that is good for snorkeling. Aqua Bay is a little closer to Cemetary Reef for snorkeling.

cayman420 Aug 16th, 2003 09:58 AM

Yes, Plantana is older but very nice. I would make sure to request photo's of the condo prior to putting down a deposit. It's important to have the interior decorating up to your taste when you are willing to pay for a nice place. Anthing towards West Bay will have the wonderful sand you are looking for. You might check out www.caymanvillas.com. I'm not sure if they will have pictures of the condos you are looking for or not but, it might be a good resource!

Robin Aug 16th, 2003 10:33 AM

Hi cayman, We made our reservation at Discovery Point Club as they had the best accommodations for our date. We made it through caymanvactions.com and they were very helpful and spent a lot of time trying to find what we wanted. We are arriving around Thanksgiving and the pickin's were thin. I requested pictures either faxed or emailed but they said they don't have pictures of every unit. I was promised an Oceanfront "newly renovated" 2 Bedroom 2 Bath unit. It also states this on my confirmation sheet as confirmed with Kathleen at DPC...we will see. The new room is one reason I went with DPC, they said they could guarantee us the room and the rates were good. Thanks again for all your help!!

Robin Aug 23rd, 2003 09:52 AM

Just wanted to say that persistence can pay off. I was able to switch our DPC reservation to an opening on our dates for a 2 bedroom oceanfront villa at Plantana!! Thanks again, especially cayman for your knowledgeable opinion, for all the help from everyone here.

cayman420 Aug 23rd, 2003 10:25 AM

you are welcome! Have a wonderful time, Grand Cayman is one of my favorites.
Please post on your return so we can see your opinion of Plantana.
Try to go to the Reef Grill some night for dinner and dancing afterwards.
My girlfriend Trish owns "the bed", they have great food and a fun atmosphere.

Robin Aug 30th, 2003 10:48 AM

We will make sure to visit your girlfriends place cayman, sounds nice. I think we will enjoy Plantana. Not that Discovery Point Club won't be nice, I just think the beach location will be a bit better. I wanted to say that I agree with your opinion cayman on Jamacia. I was reading another post about Jamaica and you took the words right out of my mouth! My husband and I will not return there, many better choices in my opinion. I though Jamaica was a bit unsafe and not real friendly unless you were spending money or willing to buy drugs. Hoping the GC will be one of them!! I will post a trip report here in December.