Planning first (non-cruise) trip to Caribbean, slightly overwhelmed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this question has been asked in various forms on the forum, but, alas, here goes.

My wife and I are planning a relatively short (4 nights) trip for mid-April somewhere in the Caribbean, but after scouring message boards and reading a plethora of top-10 lists, I still find myself a bit overwhelmed with trying to choose where to go. I'm hoping some people might have some helpful suggestions. Here's a little more info:

Budget: probably about $3,500 US for the trip, flying out of either Dallas or Houston
What we're looking for:
-relaxation (we have 10 month old twins who will not be joining us); we don't need nightlife, or even much interaction with other people,
-easy access & able to get around relatively easily/safely without a rental car; because it is a short trip, we don't have to spend too much time in transit, and we're planning on hanging around the beach & resort for the most part, although some food options nearby would be nice
-we're kind of partial to a white sand, Corona commercial type beach (perhaps I should be looking at Mexico then), but I found some of the more rocky beaches intriguing too, we mainly just want some peace & quiet.

That about sums it up. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 01:35 AM

Mid April is Easter so a very busy time in the Caribbean. Not sure any of these options would fit your budget:
Fly to Montego Bay and stay somewhere in Jamaica, Negril's 7 mile beach is beautiful but busy
Or T&C
Or Cancun and then somewhere quieter along the Riviera Maya
Grand Cayman but that is a busy and expensive island.

Other options will require a connection somewhere eg MIA.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 03:32 AM

Check out the Dominican Republic. It's easily reached non-stop from either Dallas or Houston (usually with very economical airfares) and you should have no difficulty finding resorts & hotels in your price range.

I'd skip the T&C's - they are pricy islands (especially Provo which is the main island) and you can't get there from Texas without making a connecting flight in one of the east coast airports so that will add to your travel time.

Agree with Odin, Cancun (and by extension) Cozumel or Playa del Carman are good choices for your limited time frame and budget.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 06:33 AM

There is a weekly direct service on AA from DFW to PLS.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 06:37 AM
WWK

Look at LIVE AQUA in Cancun, or next door, The Westin. Both share a gorgeous uncrowded beachfront. Both are within easy access by bus or cab to downtown Cancun.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do think, especially from your location, it's worth looking at the Mayan Riviera (Caribbean coast of Mexico). You could so easily fly into Cancun then head south to Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum, or ferry over to Isla Mujeres.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies, and I certainly welcome any more input. It does seem as though Cancun will probably make the most sense. I guess I had an unfair bias against Cancun after watching too many MTV's Spring Breaks with Pauly Shore & Bill Bellamy in my formative teenage years. However, it certainly seems as though we should be able have a nice, relaxing vacation going that route. Thanks again!
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 05:33 PM
KVR

I would just make sure that whatever hotel you chose it is either adult or couples only or you will be inundated with kids. Cancun is really not a "Spring Break" destination per say anymore. During that time period, most resorts are full of families with kids. Many hotels now deny spring break bookings. There are only a handful of hotels in Cancun that still offer it.

I say look more at T & C. It's exactly what you described. We stayed at the Sibonne on Grace Bay. They don't encourage families. With air and hotel out of Texas it was way less than $3,500. We spent about $700 on food and drinks. We opted not to rent a car and that was a mistake. I really think you can do it on that budget.

I would also avoid AA if at all possible. I know going out of DFW you really don't have much of a choice. They have screwed us many times. We now use United out of IAH or Southwest or don't go. Yes, they are that bad at DFW.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

KVR-what was the main reason you wished you had a car in T&C?

Doing some quick perusing it looks as though we can get to Cancun or T/C and into a hotel for roughly the same price, give or take a few hundred dollars. The main difference is Cancun would be all inclusive, T/C not. So I guess I'm just seeing if a rental car would need to be an added expense along with food. But man, Turks & Caicos looks delightful.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 05:56 AM
KVR

In T & C it was difficult to get to dining options without a car. We used taxis and it added up. There is no public transportation system. We did walk a lot.

We love AI and we go to Mexico often due to convenience and lowers costs, so I understand you concern about AI. The beach and water in T & C is amazing. You will not find that in Mexico. Mexico beaches are nice in some areas. In others not so much. Cancun has a great bus system and if you stay in the hotel zone, most hotels are walkable to most everything.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 06:11 AM
WWK

T&C is wonderful (!!), but can be really expensive. You will definitely need a car because taxis are pricey, and the restaurants are spread out. We had some sticker shock at some of the better restaurants even though we lived in NYC for fifteen years. Go prepared!

Some other mid-range resorts to look at: Ocean Club West and East, The Sands.

Lastly, BTW, I felt the same way you did about Cancun until I started going back a few years ago. Live Aqua was so amazing it totally changed my impression. If you can get a good deal there, you won't regret it! No little kids, adults-only, gorgeous property.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 07:47 AM
Gin

You can get by without a car in T&C if you stay in the central part of Grace Bay. Since you are going for 4 nights only, there are enough restaurants within easy walking distance. We've stayed at Ocean Club West and East without a car and didn't have to take a taxi. While you won't be able to get to everyone's favorite restaurants, you would be able to get to lots. The Ocean Club resorts also have a shuttle between them which helps with transport from OCE to the central area. OCW is dead center.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 06:15 AM

Since Cancun is a quick nonstop flight for you, consider flying into there but then taking the ferry over to Isla Mujeres. Perfect white sand beaches and very laid back - the antithesis of Cancun or Cozumel. The island is so small they won't rent you a car even if you wanted one - they only rent golf carts.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeing with the above post, just because you fly into Cancun you don't have to stay in Cancun. Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum, Cozumel are all options you can get to from the Cancun airport/area.