Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Planning and "Island" Party (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/planning-and-island-party-634041/)

mahobaygirl Jul 26th, 2006 02:25 AM

Planning and "Island" Party

I am hoping you guys can toss me some ideas. A couple of summers ago, we built a stone gazebo in our backyard after seeing the ones at Cinnamon Bay and Caneel. Of course it is a much smaller version, but does have a sink and running water and a grill. It's beautiful.
Anyway, we are finally having a Island based party and my plan is to serve Caribbean fare, beer and Painkillers.
Does anyone have any ideas for decorating, food, etc.
I have some ideas but I just know you guys will come up with some great ones!
Thanks in advance

tivertonhouse Jul 26th, 2006 02:48 AM

go to www.jamaicans.com and to the recipes section for a-z on food/drinks

Carrybean Jul 26th, 2006 03:14 AM

Place shells in the bottom of glass hurricanes around the candles on the tables. Your music options are obvious, I'm guessing. If it's a sit-down dinner, tuck a tropical flower in a shell to place on the napkins. You can use those big leaves from a florist (ti leaves????) for placemats.

Carrybean Jul 26th, 2006 03:21 AM

I also have some tried & true Caribbean recipes so if you need any, give a holler.

blamona Jul 26th, 2006 04:26 AM

You can buy jerk chicken wings or margarita shrimp at any Costco, BJ's.
Party stores have tons of tropical themes for parties. Micheals (the frame shop) also sells shells in bags you can scatter.
Mojitos are very popular drinks right now to!

wantsomesun Jul 26th, 2006 10:43 AM

My favorite drink is a "Smash", it's made of:

Dark Rum
Coconut Rum
Apricot Brandy
Pineapple Juice
Pinch of Lemon Juice
Pinch of Lime Juice
over ice

Also you might freeze some lemmon and limes in ice to put into your drinks.

iw Jul 26th, 2006 11:40 AM

Don't forget Mango Margaritas! Also, you can buy Vanilla Rum, which is made here, but really famous in St. Martin and St. Kitts (other places, too).

Anyone noticing a lot of comments on drinks, but not food options????? ha ha

Gimme a minute....Fried plantains or johnny cakes and BBQ shrimp on skewers.

wantsomesun Jul 26th, 2006 02:17 PM

...and conch.....

fritters
cracked
fried
steamed
stewed
salad

IF we bring our own, can we come too?????

wantsomesun Jul 26th, 2006 02:18 PM

....forgot to mention Bed Bath and Beyond has some really cute lights and backyard islandy decorations. They have a cute palm tree light display, that I almost bought.

tivertonhouse Jul 26th, 2006 03:03 PM

Music will be the most critical. Cut a custom CD and give to your guests as a take-away. There's a sampler list of Jamaican music, dancehall and roots reggae, posted earlier to CaribbeanTraveller here.

mahobaygirl Jul 27th, 2006 02:41 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Tiverton-I will definately look into that Jamacian, roots reggae music thread. My sister has a friend very into all kinds of music and he is suppose to be getting me some "old school" reggae (if you can call it that).
I will have to take a little closer look while at the grocery store, have never noticed plantains, yum, tostones! I also used to make oven fried yucca while on Vieques.
I also just found a good website about the Virgin Islands that has recipies that you can get around here. The first website I found had recipies that called for goat, and some other unknown-to-me ingredients!
Thanks again!!

iw Jul 27th, 2006 05:52 AM

((H))...wantsomesun, I agree with you, I want an invite to this shindig!

mahobaygirl....I have seen plantains by the bananas at times.
Excellent suggestion about the conch. One of my favorite things, but I have never seen it in VA.:'(

blamona Jul 27th, 2006 07:15 AM

jw: There's conch in Va Beach and Richmond!
sorry, I didn't mean to take over the post!

HowardC Jul 27th, 2006 07:21 AM

If you go to www.bobmorris.net you will find an excellent conch fritter receipe. Conch is very expensive in the states. A fish store can probably order it for you but it will be about $16/lb. I normally bring it home from the caribbean. I pressure cook it to tenderize and minch in a blender. You can substitute shrimp for the conch and they're great. If you add an egg and equal parts of pineapple and orange juice to the drink receipe above and blend in a blender you have a yellow bird. I serve these in a punch bowl. I second the Mojito recommendation too. The Sugar Mill Caribbean Cookbook by Jinx and Jeff Morgan has all kinds of great receipes.

ejcrowe Jul 27th, 2006 12:29 PM

And don't forget the beer! Jamaica's Red Stripe is readily available everywhere. You can also find Ting in many large grocery stores, especially in a special "ethnic" section.

Rum Punch is always a favorite.

A fun cd to try might be Toots & the Maytals "True Love," which features guest artists ranging from Willy Nelson to Gwen Stefani to Bootsy Collins--enough real reggae to give it an island vibe but with enough variety of styler and performers to give it a very broad appeal.

When my friends hosted a Caribbean party a couple of winters ago, we ordered some things from www.orientaltrading.com (it might be www.orientaltradingcompany.com)such as fun swizzle sticks, palm tree toothpicks for finger foods, fake coconut shell cups for serving drinks, and grass skirts for the tables and bar. It's cheap and fun, and more than a little bit tacky!

mahobaygirl Jul 27th, 2006 12:54 PM

ej-thanks, there is always Red Stripe in our fridge!! I plan to have that on hand!!
I will also make a rum punch, along with the Painkillers.

Funny you mentioned the Oriental Trading post tacky favors, I have had them for a year or two!(we have been talking aobut this for a while!)

I will definately look into the CD you mentioned. Going to google it right now. i love Gwen. I just read an article about the recording studio on Jamaica, No Doubt recorded there.

I did find yucca today. No Ting in this area, though.
Thanks again

HowardC Jul 27th, 2006 01:49 PM

Check your frozen food section of the store for Goya Products. THey have frozen plantains--Tosotnes ready to fry. also some other products. Also check the ethnic section for dry and canned Goya Products.

Carrybean Jul 28th, 2006 04:24 AM

TOSTONES (makes 24-30)
3 large green plantains
4 cups cold water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBL sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Veg. oil for frying
Salt & pepper to taste

Cut off the very tip of the plantain & peel like a banana. Slice diagonally about 1/2" thick.
Pour the water into a large bowl along w/the garlic, salt & sugar. Soak the plantains for about 20 minute. Drain on paper towels.
Fry in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Folding the towel over the slices, flatten with your hands. Quickly dip in salted water again (pat dry) & return to hot oil. Fry until golden & drain once more on paper towels. Season w/salt & pepper.~~

BANANA DAIQUIRI CHEESECAKE
1 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
1/4 cup crushed almonds
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese, cut up
2 TBL flour
8 oz carton sour cream
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp rum extract
1 tsp baking powder

Combine crushed banilla wafers, almonds, 1/4 cup sugar & melted butter in small bowl. Press into bottom & up a couple of inches into a standard 8 or 9" spring-form pan.
In a large mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, flour, sour cream & 1/3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, pudding mix & all other ingredients until just smooth. Pour into crust & bake in a preheated 350° for 30-40 minutes.~~

CITRUS GLAZED PORK TENDERLOIN (serves 4)
2 pork tenderloins, about 1 lb each
Olive oil

Sauce:
1 TBL frozenorange juice concentrate
2 TBL ketchup
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 TBL apple cider vinegar
1 tsp habanero hot sauce (or any hot sauce)
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cumin

In a large glass bowl, combine all ingreidents for the sauce & blend well. Add pork, cover & refrigerate overnight.
Remove pork from marinade & grill over low to medium heat until the tenderloinds reach an internal temperature of approximately 155°, about 25 minutes.
Remove from grill & slice.~~
These are all from A Taste of the Caribbean as was the meat pate recipe I emailed you. I know the author, who is a very good cook.

ALR Jul 28th, 2006 04:34 AM

I had an island party and everyone brought their favorite dish. I made a rum punch and banana drinks and used some of Blanchards' recipes from "A Trip to the Beach". We put a grass skirt around a round table where food was served. Shark bites were popular. Someone brought tomato pie from a restaurant once called The Fish Trap. It's been a few years, so I'm trying to remember the details. We had CD's from Caribbean bands we had heard. I was just to someone else's party where they had built a bar using an oar, license plate, made a thatched roof, etc. They had a live steel band, which was great. A friend of theirs from the Caribbean made all the food.

beachkomer Jul 29th, 2006 06:50 AM

How about some mini Jamaican patties, with a great dipping sauce? I found some online, you can order them a head of time and bake them yourself. These are small, appetizer size.

we ordered "west indies patties" yesterday at "Bahama Breeze" restaurant. The sauce they serve with the order is GREAT! Very creamy and spicy. You could arrange the patties on a big platter with some veggies and dips for "snacking".

How about some skewers of jerk chicken
hot off the grill? These could be made
up ahead of time and cooked fresh just before guests arrive.

Coconut fried shrimp purchased in the frozen foods section and cooked just before party time with a big bowl of cocktail sauce punched up with Jerk seasoning.

When do we get our invitations? :)