Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Planning a trip to Puerto Rico with the family, would love feedback!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All! Planning a 6 night trip to PR this July. Looking for ideas on how to go on a budget. Our resort is not all inclusive. Thinking about renting a car instead of hiring transfer from airports and such. Would love to do some exploring on the island. I notice the site where I plan to book our trip offers addon's for day trips to Culebra, but those are very expensive. Is it possible for us to just ride the ferry over and do our own thing once we get there? I want to take the kids snorkeling and sight see. Also, the same thing for the rain forest, can we just drive ourselves there and explore without a tour? I would love to be able to book the tours, but that is just not possible. Also, was hoping to find some fast food places to save some money for breakfasts and lunches. Dinners we will eat out somewhere nice. Are there plenty of fast food chains near the east part of the island? Any tips on safety? I'm a little concerned about the crime, but don't want to let it keep us from seeing a beautiful place. I would appreciate any advice at all!! Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Where are you staying?
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Looking at the El Conquistador! Most likely there or the Wyndam Rio Mar.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:21 AM

We stayed at the Wyndham Rio Mar twice ( last time two years ago) and would not go back unless a lot of things have changed. It's in a pretty remote location, so you're stuck eating expensive drinks/food on property unless you have a car. Also the beach was not well maintained. And the rooms had really old AC units which dripped into the room and ran noisily all night long. Unless it's been renovated/improved dramatically, I think you're much better off at the El Conquistador.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM

In the past, we stayed in Isla Verde (at the Intercontinental), and there were several restaurants within walking distance (on the main drag) that were reasonable, and many others, a short cab ride away. The hotel restaurants tend to be pricey. I think the hotels you mention are both a bit remote, so without a car, you are pretty much tied down to the hotel dining.

We rented a car to go to El Yunque rainforest, and did it on our own. It's a pretty easy drive. Once you are there, there are several hiking options of various lengths, and some waterfalls that you can take a dip in. You don't need a guide. If I remember correctly, there were maps available with the info.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Since you'll have a car, you can eat at the shacks on the beach in Loquillo, some of which were very good, but there can be a long wait. There's also a breakfast place a short drive from the hotel just before you reach the main highway.

Also the hotel is just across the street from the rain forest. That being said, I still think for accommodations, beach, entertainment ( there's a water park at El Conquistador, but you have to pay to go in even if you're a guest, I think), you're better off at El Conquistador.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful! Thanks so much everyone for your input. I've read more good about El Conquistador than the other for sure. And the kids would love the water park for at least one day. I'm pretty set on a rental car, so I don't mind the remote location. Anyone know how expensive it is to ride the ferry to Culebra?
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 03:10 AM

The ferry to culebra is around $5 round trip. However, the trip takes a little planning ahead since there is only 1 ferry going to the island and it makes only 3 tips a day. The trips have a maximum amount of passengers and locals have priority. My advice would be to go on a weekday and get there at the very least at 8:00am. It is a public transportation system so be patient. Also you should think about renting a car when you get there. If you cannot make the trip, don't despair, you then have to do the ferry from the Conquistador hotel to Palominito island. It is a smaller island than culebra but the beach is nice. Since its mostly a tourist island you'll be around people wanting to have fun.

There are plenty of fast food restaurant near the Conquistador, about a 12 minute ride according to Google Maps but it feels like less. There is also a 24hr Walmart nearby and a CVS. Off the top of my head I can name a KFC, Taco Bell, I believe there is also a Pizza Hut and a Ponderosa. I also suggest the David's Cookies at the Conquistador for breakfast sandwiches to save some money. When you take the road down to the ferry, you will also pass some traditional Puerto Rican restaurants. Please stop by one, the crowdest one and have a mofongo (smashed fried plantain with a little garlic). It is a traditional dish and a true stamp the you came to visit us.

As to crime, just consider all of Puerto Rico as you would a large metropolitan city like Chicago or Philadelphia and exercise common sense. Don't leave valuables visible in the rental car. And I mean Laptops and such much more than coolers and clothes. But most importantly, do your research so you can travel confidently from place to place and you know where you are. Avoid places you do not know from your research or that look too dark at night. Etc. Most people will know you are a tourist but everyone is a tourist in that area. The great majority of us Puerto Ricans are extremely nice and helpful people. They will go out of their way, and language, to help you out. When asking for directions and such, you'll know who to ask. It's the same lady or gentleman you would ask directions to in the NYC subway.

Language can be an issue outside the hotel since many Puerto Ricans have trouble speaking English or are self-counsious about it. Just plan accordingly, ask for most direction at the hotel, and have fun.

You can also drive to the Rainforest (El Yunque) with little problem. There would be some narrow roads but there are signs to point you to in the right direction. If you are thinking about using a GPS, be aware that they usually have some weird ways of getting you to where you want to go. So if you are bringing yours, that is great because you already know how to use it and you can tell when it might be leading you off. If its the Car Rental's, rely more on your google maps print outs. Here is a worthwhile tip. Buy a full map at the airport. I have lived in PR all my life and I always have one in my car, although my IPhone is getting better and better.

I have never scuba dived (I know) but I am sure the hotel can give you tips on where to go if you cannot make it to Culebra. I know of an organization called Scuba Dogs, they might have some info. 

If you need any extra help I believe my Facebook profile will show up. You can send me a message. 

I must disclose here that I do not work for the Tourism company of PR. I just love doing internal tourism. Also when I travel, I like to do just what you are doing.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Hi Odellio - our family just spent 8d/7n at the el conquistador, i am just about finished w/ our trip report....stay tuned...
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

This is SOOO helpful! Thank you so much Fernando! I'm even more excited about PR!!!!! I think it will be a wonderful trip for my family!!! I can't wait to research more! And start planning.
ruwithme, I am anxiously awaiting your report!!!
Thanks so much everyone!! This site is so helpful!!
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:40 AM

We stayed at the Las Casitas section of El Conquistador last week. We had a one bedroom with
full kitchen, washer/dryer, pullout couch in living room. It was great. Had we been more organized we would have stocked up the fridge with breakfast foods and drinks to take to the beach. Our unit was in a building closest to El Con.
Free parking at Las Casitas. This part of the resort is quieter and beautiful. We had lunches on the resort, but only one dinner there. We had amazing food elsewhere.
There are tons of fast food places off the hotel grounds. The drive to the rainforest or Old San Juan is kind of bleak and unattractive, unfortunately.
I loved the trip we took. Good blend of beach and activity.