Planning a late summer vacation with friends

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Planning a late summer vacation with friends

Hello I'm a 21 y/o guy looking to plan a trip with 3 other friends to somewhere in Mexico/Caribbean. I know nothing about any of these places other than stuff I've read which is usually catered to families and couples. I think we would maybe do one day trip out on a boat or something but otherwise hang around the resort and go out at night. I'm going to list some things that I can't change and stuff I would like opinions on. Also I'm a Premier AAA member, idk if that helps with anything other than price.
No Changes
  • Price- Can't spend more than $1500 MAX in 4-5 days
  • Location- The Caribbean/Mexico
  • Date-Between August 6-12
  • Type- All-inclusive
Things I want advice on
  • Specific location- resorts and islands, I have no idea the demographics and behavior of each area island.
  • Amenities- What do I need and don't need in an all inclusive package?
  • Alcohol - I know every place has alcohol included but should I look at places that have nicer alcohol if the likelihood is that we are planning to be drunk the whole time?
  • Proximity to others our age- And to be frank, when i say others I mean girls around our age.
Thanks for helping me out, very much appreciated.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:55 PM

August is rainy season in much of the Caribbean and most of coastal Mexico. You might want to check on that before getting much further with these plans.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 03:29 PM

You should take a look at Aruba. It's generally not very rainy and it's mostly out of the hurricane belt, something you need to consider if you're going in August. There are only a few all-inclusives in Aruba but I believe the Holiday Inn has an all-inclusive option and it's in a really good location for walking to bars and restaurants if you wanted an off-the-resort option. I would check Apple Vacations, Travelocity and Expedia to look for deals. I would also contact AAA since you are already a member. I don't know where you're flying from but if you're in the US your two main choices in airlines are American and JetBlue. Both offer a hotel/flight package that can save you some money. Just Google American vacations or something like that. Costco is also a good place to look for great rates and they can also bundle a flight/hotel. You do have to be a Costco member, however (maybe a family member is a member?).

If you do decide on Mexico I would look at Playa del Carmen. We stayed at what is now a Hilton all-inclusive (it was something else when we were there) and it's literally just steps from the main bar area in Playa del Carmen. There were a lot of couples but there were also a lot of groups of people traveling together. It was a pretty big party atmosphere when we were there. I did a quick look at rates for their lowest priced rooms and it definitely can fit your budget since the rate was for the room for 2 and not per person. I don't know if the resort provides transportation to/from the airport so that might be an additional expense.