Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > planning a 25th wedding anniversary get away and need help???
Notices

planning a 25th wedding anniversary get away and need help???

Apr 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

planning a 25th wedding anniversary get away and need help???

which is better jamaica or puertio rico and where is good places to stay there are so many
and I have been reading all the reviews and am getting more and more confused help!!!
and what about Dominican Republic? Also am thinking about going thru cheap carribean anyone have any experience with them?
Apr 13th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Honestly, one destination is not BETTER than the others, they are just different. So to with places to stay - there are hundreds upon hundreds of resorts and hotels on the islands you mentioned. You'll find them in all price ranges.

You have to do some basic research - start by using the "destinations" link on the left side of this page. Click through to the "Caribbean" that read the basic summaries of each island. You'll then get a feel for which island appeals most TO YOU. You can then do a few google searches using topics like "Things to do on NAME OF ISLAND" and you'll find even more info. READ through the material and it will help narrow your choices.

Every island has a different vibe and no one island "has it all" so choosing one is a matter of making some compromise. Make a list of the 10 or 15 things that are important to you in a Caribbean Vacation. As you read through material and visit travel forums like this one you can starting checking off which destination most closely matches the items on your list - pretty soon you'll find which island is RIGHT FOR YOU. You can then start looking at the various resorts/hotels on that island that fit your budget.

Keep in mind that the islands you mentioned Jamaica, Puerto rico and Dominican Republic are quite large and have many DIFFERENT areas to research so you have some studying to do.

Many People use Cheap Caribbean and have been well satisfied.

Lastly, after you've done the research come back here and post your "List" of desires and let us know where you are flying from, what time of year you are planning to travel,how long you are planning to be away, what your budget is for airfare, lodging and food, how many people in your party and approximate ages - we need that information to help steer you in the right direction. When giving a budget - be specific - terms like "affordable", "won't break the bank", are meaningless without an actual dollar point of reference.
Apr 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
KVR

I have to agree. What are you looking for in a vacation? Jamaica and the DR are mainly AI hotels and PR is not. Do you want an AI vacation? All those destination are quite different. What features attracted you to them specifically? What do you want to do on vacation? Lots of activities, veg out on the beach, sightseeing, snorkeling, scuba dive, nightly entertainment, etc.

I have never used Cheap Caribbean because that site does not offer our airport as a departure point.
Apr 15th, 2012, 04:22 PM

I went to Punta Cana (Majestice Elegance) in February and just got back today from Jamaica where we stayed at the Sandals Grande Riveria in Ocho Rios. While I look around on Cheap Caribbean all the time, I use a travel agent when spending 1000's as I want their expertise. I loved both properties for different reasons. I loved the beach in Punta Cana, the grounds at the Sandals were gorgeous. The food at Sandals was better than the Majestic Elegance. The drink was better at the Majestic Elegance vs the Sandals. The rooms were about the same - had swim up at the Majestic Elegance, had a villa at the Sandals. The weather was the same. If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask!

Search this Thread