Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Negril for a honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:25 PM
sarah

We are torn between the following: <BR>1. For our 5 day cliff stay we are thinking either Tensing Pen or Rockhouse (both are in our budget and seem great)<BR>2. For our 5 day beach stay either Kuyaba or Idle Awhile.<BR><BR>Please let me know your thoughts, keeping in mind that we are looking for the following...<BR>- seclusion and clean and cozy rooms<BR>- good service &amp; friendly staff<BR>- close proximity (walking) to restaurants and bars<BR>- a &quot;treat&quot; - i haven't been on a vactation in ages and really want something special!<BR><BR>Looking forward to hearing your responses...this is my first message board experience.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Love the Beach

About 3 years ago, my husband and I spent a second honeymoon in the Negril area at Sweptaway. We renewed our wedding vows there. You won't be disappointed, however it may be pricey. We didn't care. For less money, we went to Mexico south of Cancun to a resort slightly south of Playa Del Carmen. It (some resorts, beach, and water) was unsurpassed even by Jamaica and much cheaper! It's been a few years and prices change, but if I did the Mexico area again, I would go to the same Yucatan Peninsula but a little further south, say 80 miles or so S. of Cancun. Awesome website to see this area at www.locogringo.com. I stumbled across it one day and the photos are great and very accurate! Congratulations on your marraige and I wish it to last forever! We got married at 20 yrs old and have been happily married for 20 years! Our secret? A christ-centered marraige. When they say, &quot;Build your house on the rock because the storm will come&quot; take heed because the storm WILL come. It did to us but not until the 17th year and putting God first is what made us survive happily. You have to MAKE it happen and if you are not committed to doing what it takes then ... I'm sure you will! (Sorry to sound like a religious finatic.)

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM
sarah

Thanks for the advice - congrats on your 20 yrs. of marriage. Interesting thoughts on travel to Mexico instead. But we kindof have our minds set on Negril - just the &quot;where to stay&quot; part that needs to get sorted out. <BR>Anyone else out there have a strong opinion?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:41 AM
gingele

oooooh, an easy one! <BR><BR>Just got back from #2 trip to negril. Not an expert, but have definite opinions....<BR><BR>1) cliffs - definitely tensing pen. Far fewer rooms/villas than Rockhouse, so much more intimate and secluded feeling. Lush grounds, great cliff spots for sunning, snorkeling, hanging out, spending day in hammock, etc. Incredible vibe. My nov '02 trip was 1 week at the great house villa there. I cannot say enough good things about the place. It is magical, and you will not find a more unique setting. All the cottages are clean, cozy, romantic, etc. each one different and charming (email me for specifics, we peeked in to almost every one - so we could plan our return!) Staff is wonderful, great masseuse too. We loved the location, and remember, nothing is really ever that far in Negril (from Tensing Pen to the beach is about a $1 - $2.00 US cab ride)<BR><BR>1) beach - definitely Idle Awhile. Not a beachie myself (both negril trips were on the cliffs, Nov. '01 was at the caves), but Idle Awhile is one of the top two places on the beach from all appearances and reports (top two = idle awhile and moondance villas). At idle awhile, see if you can get the oceanfront suite, upstairs. <BR><BR>Also, for a ton of enthusiastic and obsessed negril fans, check out the message board at www.negril.com. Very active board and great info. Also, feel free to email me directly with specific questions about tensing pen. Now that I have stayed there, I probably won't stay anywhere else in Negril (at elast until I get a turn in each of the different villas there!). Unbelievable place.<BR><BR>Congrats on the upcoming wedding and happy travels!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Sarah

Gingele, <BR>Thanks so much for your honest opinions. We are leaning toward Tensing Pen - given the rave reviews the place gets. And our rationale is that we can always walk down to the Rockhouse for dinner/lunch --&gt;but I just came up with that in my head - is it feasible to &quot;walk&quot; places once at Tensing Pen? Just would seem crucial given they have no food or a bar on site. <BR><BR>Re: the vilas, we were thinking of reserving the Cove Cottage (according to their website, this is the most romantic) or the South House (this looks amazing on their website). Thoughts?<BR><BR>Thanks again...so helpful and just the kind of information I was looking for!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM
liza

I second Idle Awhile over Kuyaba, if only because you said you're looking for seclusion...Kuyaba is on a busy part of the beach and has a popular restaurant that brings a lot of people onto the property. Also, IA is newer.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:13 PM
gingele

Hi again Sarah - <BR><BR>Yes, you can definitely walk to many places (restaurants and bars) up and down the cliff road from tensing pen. It was our preferred method of travel - helps to walk off all that red stripe and great food! No worries about no restaurant or bar at tensing pen either...they do serve a nice continental breakfast each morning for guests, nice place to have some coffee and chat w/other guests (could possibly be the only time you will see them!) Also, each cottage has a minifridge, so you can stock up on beer and water in your room when you want a cold one afer sunning or swimming. Wise Choice grocery is literally right across the street for supplies.<BR><BR>Both cove cottage and south house would also be my first choices! what a dilemma! Lets see, the south house is larger of the two, with a separate living room besides a very nice bedroom. It has a private sunning verandah and is set fairly far out along the property, no one to the south of you at all. The cove cottage is only the bedrooom, but a nice size room. It does have a big bathroom with an enormous shower that has french doors you can open to make it a semi-outdoor experience (don't worry, its private!) The cove cottage also has its own privae verandah/outdoor seating. But no direct sun, as it is set back in the cove. I think that it has the most unique setting on the property. I just fell in love with that one. You will also be lulled to sleep each night by the waves crashing<BR>just below you in the beautiful cove. One other plus with the cove cottage, depending on the time of year you are travelling to Negril, is that it is probably be the coolest spot - nice and shady. And it is also close to the large living area for guestds (where they serve breakfast).<BR><BR>Either way, you can't go wrong!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:29 PM
sarah

Thanks a bunch! This is all great info. Both Idle a While and Tensing Pen sound fabulous! Now...it's time to make a decision on a cottage. ;-)<BR><BR>- S<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:44 PM
dantheman

You mentioned Moondance Villas. Did you get to see them. Specifically the one bedroom? Is Idle Awhile very nice?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:15 PM
liza

I spent some time at Moondance and if you want to spend the $, they blow away pretty much any other accomodation in Negril, esp if you want a villa vacation.<BR><BR>Idle Awhile is really lovely too and they are located not far from each other...get a beachfront suite there.