Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Places to go in Turks and Caicos (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/places-to-go-in-turks-and-caicos-213465/)

Nina Dec 7th, 2001 09:28 AM

Places to go in Turks and Caicos

We are thinking of going to Turks and Caicos in February. Can't decide between Grace Bay Club, Point Grace or The Sands at Grace Bay. Any tips?<BR>Also, we'd like to visit one of the "uninhabited" islands for a day. Are they really "uninhabited" or are we going to be surrounded by lots of other people? We visited a few islands like that in the Grenadines last year and there were actually little huts with people selling t-shirts on them. Not exactly "uninhabited".

Eva Dec 7th, 2001 09:59 AM

We've done the deserted island trip in the T&C, and the cay we were dropped off on was truly, completely uninhabited -- or at least it was so as far as we could walk, see or swim during the hours we spent there. My sister had the same experience as well. <BR><BR>Most of the small cays in the T&C are not fit for habitation. And, unlike the Grenadines (are you speaking of the Tobago Cays, perhaps?), no cruise ships or day trippers call there, so there's no reason for beach vendors to set up shop. This was one of the more disappointing things about the Grenadines ... as soon as the Windjammers land their tenders on "deserted" islands, they are no longer deserted.

meg Dec 7th, 2001 08:59 PM

What was the name of the Cay and how did you get there?

Eva Dec 8th, 2001 02:24 PM

The cay we were dropped at was Parrot Cay (which is now the home of a private island resort, but was empty at the time) ... however, there are lots of deserted cays in the area. I don't remember the name of the company that took us, but we booked them from our resort (the Ocean Club); they took us by motorboat (not a long ride) and picked us up exactly as we arranged. We packed our own lunch, but I think they offer a picnic lunch as an option.

Karen Dec 9th, 2001 06:00 PM

Parrot Cay is no longer deserted. In fact, you can visit for the day if you pay a day fee plus lunch plus transportation to get there. Made for a very expensive trip. There are many cays where you can be dropped off I just don't remember the names. Delles may be one that is designated a Nat'l Park but there are many! Am sure it can be arranged by where ever you decide to stay - and you are lonesome! No vendors, no tshirt sales people just pristine beach as far as you can see!

Terry Dec 10th, 2001 08:52 PM

Here is a web page of a local T&C company that provide the "island get-aways" along with prices.

Miriam Dec 12th, 2001 11:42 AM

We were in TC in August. It was beautiful. We also did the island gateway. JB Tours was the outfit that we used from the Sands at Grace Bay. They pack you a lunch with drinks and rum punch or wine. We brought more drinks which was a great idea since we were there for over 4 hours. You are totally deserted except for maybe a few boats passing by but not close to you. We did get to play with a live conch. I just truly love TC. Enjoy it!!!

Nina Dec 12th, 2001 01:05 PM

Thanks for your help. Terry - I didn't see the website you mentioned. Can you give me the info again?