Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Places to buy cigars in Holguin/Guardalavaca?
Notices

Places to buy cigars in Holguin/Guardalavaca?

May 25th, 1999, 01:03 PM
chris

Places to buy cigars in Holguin/Guardalavaca?

Does anyone know of any stores in Holguin or preferrably Guardalavaca that sell legitimate cigars? I don't trust buying from someone on the beach or street and I understand you need a reciept to get through customs. Any info? Thanks
Chris

May 31st, 1999, 12:09 PM
Michel

We were in Cayo Guillermo and Ciego de Avila last month. Shops... selling cigars are clearly marked and easy to find. You're right about not purchasing cigars "on the street". The fact is you won't know what you're getting. In my case, I also made friends with a Cuban who rolls his own. They were also great (very smooth). Most Cubans can't afford to buy cigars in stores but they sure know how to get by. Have a great time!

May 31st, 1999, 12:12 PM
Michel

I forgot to mention that you are allowed 50 cigars per person (customs). And yes, it is a good idea to keep your receipts. We weren't asked for ours but you never know.

Jun 1st, 1999, 05:36 AM
Sandy MacT

If you're very careful, you can get decent cigars on the street, but you have to know what you're doing. It's a good idea to disect a couple. They won't be factory made, but the price will ber OK.

cuba customs sometimes checks for receipts on exit (rarely), Canada customs doesn't care where you bought them.

The hotel shops have a small selection of legit cigars, the airport at Holguin has a large shop, selection varies.

Search this Thread