Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Places Teenagers Love to Visit! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/places-teenagers-love-to-visit-282306/)

norjus Jan 15th, 2008 02:59 AM

Places Teenagers Love to Visit!

We're planning a high school graduation getaway in April 2008, we're looking for a Caribbean destination and a reasonably priced, fun place to stay for two teenage girls travelling with at least one mother. Also, interested in hearing about all-inclusive packages down there! Thanks!

highflyer Jan 15th, 2008 04:33 AM

Even teenagers have different requirements. Are they active? Scuba/snorkeling/hiking on the to do list?
Do they really want lazy beach days with nightlife and shopping?
What's the actual budget?

Puerto Rico or Mexico could both fit the bill as reasonably priced.

doug_stallings Jan 15th, 2008 05:16 AM

There are no all-inclusives in Puerto Rico, so it's not a viable option. Also, I don't think San Juan is a good environment for teen girls who want to go out on the town.

If you pick an AI in Jamaica, the girls will have many different options for activities out of the resort and a safe and comfortable environment to relax in the resort. Look at places in Negril or Montego Bay (the new Iberostar might be a decent choice). MoBay has the advantage of no long drive to the resort.

Another possibility might be Antigua. Another good island with many different kinds of activities and some large all-inclusive resorts.

To be honest, I think teens would enjoy most any place in the Caribbean that has a beach and a lot of activities.

I'd stay away from Cancun for the mother's sake. But Cozumel might be a good destination since it's a little quieter but still has great beaches and AIs.

ishkribbl Jan 15th, 2008 05:46 AM

As the mother of a college age daughter myself, I would not recommend Puerto Rico or Mexico for your trip. I love both but I would not want her or her friends there on that kind of trip. I agree that it depends alot on what your girls like to do but I think safety would be a primary concern- somewhere they are actually safe and some place YOU feel safe about them being there. What about Turks and Caicos or Treasure Cay in the Abacos? Maybe even look at Hopetown Harbour Lodge on Elbow Cay in the Abacos or Dolphin Beach on Great Guana in the Abacos- they can go anywhere with or without you and be fine. The beaches are pretty and you could stay somewhere with snorkeling, bikes to use to roam, etc. They are not old enough to drive a rental car or golf cart anywhere so stay somewhere small enough they can walk around safely if they want.

Packed2Go Jan 15th, 2008 07:30 AM

We did a trip with 'almost adult' children to the Riviera Maya in Mexico and had a terrific time. Stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan which is a great resort in a super location. There were lots of activities, food was excellent, huge beach, and the resort's rainforest setting was unique. There was plenty to do in that area - day trips to Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and incredible eco water parks at xel-ha and xcaret - could also walk to a small village of shops. It was big enough for everyone to wander off a bit, and still be within the resort property. I'd highly recommend it for family vacations.